Worried I gave my chickens the wrong worm treatment

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Devi, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Devi

Devi New Egg

Jun 24, 2014
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Hello, I discovered that at least one of my chickens has worms so after researching treatment I headed to the feed store and got Diatomaceous Earth. I couldn't find it so I asked a store clerk about it. She took me to the equine section and I explained to her that I needed the food grade DE as it was for egg laying birds and she assured me that it was and that the eggs were safe to eat during treatment. I began treating my flocks food and dust bathing areas and researched if the clerk was correct about the eggs being edible during treatment. I discovered that the food grade DE is a white powder and not the grey sandy looking DE I purchased. Nowhere on the label does it say that it is food grade and there was no literature inside the bucket. Now I am worried about the quality of my eggs and if we should eat them even after 14 days as some recommend. I can't even find the DE on the company's website that I purchased, it's all the white powder kind. Please help!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Are you in the US? Diatom or DE is not a dewormer, since it does not work when it is wet inside the body. It can be harmful to the lungs if inhaled, so be cautious using it. It can help keep bedding dry and help in the coop, but it is not necessary to use it at all. All chickens have worms from being exposed to dirt. Good wormers that get most chicken worms are Valbazen and SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or Equine paste, given orally to each chicken. Wazine will only treat roundworms. It sometimes helps to get a few droppings checked for worms to see which ones are present.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  3. Devi

Devi New Egg

Jun 24, 2014
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thank you for the reply and great information eggcessive!!

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You're welcome, take care.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by