Worried like crazy!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hapigrl, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Hapigrl

Hapigrl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2012
    St Augustine, Florida
    I have 4 barred rocks, and 2 bantams all about 11 or 12 days old. I thought the bantams were the same breed, but now I am pretty sure they are not. 1 has been pegged as a Belgian d'Anvers, and the other one is all black, and now double the size!!! The d'Anvers isnt growing, just stands there under the light all by himself, breath's heavy, and lets his (?) wings kinda be lazy.....he does eat and drink water and sleep ok, but something isnt right!! I just know it!!! He seems really lonely in a brooder with 5 other chickens in it. Does this sound crazy? Is he ok??? What should I watch for??? Here is a picture of both bantams just for comparison. Any help is sooo appreciated!!! [​IMG]

2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Not sure but you might some Sav-a-chick or pediolite and try giving it some. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in and help. Anyways your post will go back to the top.Good luck with your little ones.

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I agree to add some vitamin supplement, but know that sometimes chicks simply have "failure to thrive" for no known reason.

4. Hapigrl

Apr 12, 2012
    St Augustine, Florida
    thank you for answering. I do have sav a chick in the water. I am worried becouse I specifically picked this chick out becouse it was so spunky!!! This behavior just isnt normal for him. Plus, this is my favorite chick!! I mean I loooove this bird!!! ugh!!! should I handle him, or leave him alone? I am so new at this, I dont know.... [​IMG]

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Don't handle it too much, it can be stressful for him.

6. Hapigrl

Apr 12, 2012
    St Augustine, Florida
    ok I wont. even it has taken everything not to today. I do have to at least once a day tho. He is the only one that has poopy butt issues. I have to clean him everyday.

7. stephensc7146

stephensc7146 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2012
    Southeastern, Ohio
    I have two bantams too, Chip & Fluff. Chip is still the same size as when we got him 3 weeks ago, but he's growing all his feathers normally. He does what yours does too, just lays around all the time unless he is eating or drinking. Fluff started out like that too, he's grown more than chip has (figured it was just a breed thing) but he use to just lay around with his wings down like they were too heavy for him. I never put vitamins or anything in their feed or water, just let them do their own thing. Now Fluff is always up and moving. Loves attention and when I hand feed my chicks he's the first one to jump in my hand and hog the food. You're little guy should snap out of this phase. Good luck!

8. Hapigrl

Apr 12, 2012
    St Augustine, Florida
    thanks hun. I sure hope your right. it just sucks. I am a worry wart.

9. Hapigrl

Apr 12, 2012
    St Augustine, Florida
    Well, he died this morning. I am heartbroken. I am new, and I knew it was bound to happen, losing your first chick, but why him??? ugh! Just wanted o update all that tried o help. I love him so. [​IMG]

10. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Sorry to hear about your loss. Hope you have good luck with the rest of your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by