Worried...moulting Taking All Summer

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LOVEIGEE, Oct 15, 2011.

1. LOVEIGEE

LOVEIGEE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Prissy started moulting early in the summer and still is not through. I have been giving extra protein, yogurt, etc. Have ya'll ever had a hen moult and not be feathered out this long? Kind of worried.

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    No it shouldn't be taking that long.............. perhaps she isn't in good health or wasn't fed properly before the molt and during the molt as well. or perhaps your confusing a molt with a rough backed hen due to a rooster. could also be age if she is older that could be it and if she's a hatchery bird they allways struggle with feather growth due to their questionable breeding and the fact they expend their abilities so fast. Healthy well cared for heritage birds come out of molts quickly and with nice feather quality.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  3. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    What kind of bird. I've had some take a few months. Depending on how heavy a molt they've gone through. I've changed my bird to game bird feed....Higher protein, purina sells one for plumage and it helped reduce molt time ALOT and their feathers look amazing when they come in.

4. LOVEIGEE

Jul 24, 2010
    She has been fed Countryside Organic feed.....we have no roosters. They were all wormed recently since Dawg wouldn't come do it for me. [​IMG] I just don't understand why she is taking so long....should I confine her to give her special attention? Both of the domiques are weaker than the rest.....

5. LOVEIGEE

Jul 24, 2010
    She is only 15 months old and still looks awful......what should I do?

6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Ahhh Organic feed........................ with plant protien ??

7. Mrsfoote

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Yea I'd say its the Organic Feed. I understand wanting to be organic. You can do that without using Organic Feed however. I mean my birds free range, and I don't do medicine unless ABSOLUTELY needed. But When mine molt I do Game bird feed up the protein their loosing in feather production. Don't forget with growing feathers comes blood in the feather production...could be weak from that..anemic of a sorts I guess. How are their comb colors.

8. LOVEIGEE

Jul 24, 2010
    Tell me more.....Is this bad feed? Please tell me.

9. LOVEIGEE

Jul 24, 2010
    Her comb is very pale right now......

10. Mrsfoote

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    No but with Organic I've noticed Protein levels all though they maybe the same, they aren't necessarily what you need. Like I said I switched mine to game bird crumbles. Then Just went ahead and got a game bird conditioner and I have one Blue Laced Red Wyandotte who is molting Horrible, my Wellsummer looked the same..I should go take a picture for you...My Wellie was in molt for 3 weeks. and she had no tail feathers no face feathers or breast...looked like a bird blew up and she is laying again.

You could also suppliment with some canned cat food, the wet kind.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by