Worried my chickens will run away

mcoon07

Hatching
Apr 22, 2015
I recently moved my chicks outside to their coop and would like to let them "free range". What is the best way to introduce this? I'm worried if I let them out they will run away or not want to go back into their coop. Thanks in advance :)

Keep them inside the coop/run for a week until they know where home is. Then they will put themselves to bed. They will not run away.

I do have concerns though if they are very young, say six weeks of age. They are very vulnerable to predators at that age (hawk bait) and need overhead netting if you have hawks, and a smaller area until they mature.

Free ranging does bring predator losses sometimes unfortunately. You will like having a run for them if you don't already- even a small one- in case you go on vacation and want to keep them safe.

I have to go for now. I will check back with the thread later and maybe give more advice!

Here is a picture of our coop. My chicks are about 6 weeks old. We plan on building a fence around the coop but would also like to let them out in the yard. Thanks :)

Wait to free range them until after they start going up into the coop at night by themselves to roost.

But they are very vulnerable when free ranging that young......
........I'd wait until they are 3-4 months old and start out for just an hour before sunset, then earlier and earlier.

Back
Top Bottom