1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Worried my chicks haven't arrived

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ladybead, Feb 20, 2015.

1. ladybead

ladybead Out Of The Brooder

I ordered 18 chicks and 3 ducks, they shipped them out on Wednesday and they still haven't gotten to my local post office. The package was only scanned in 1 time. Will they even be alive by the time they get here. When I ordered I understood it was 2 day shipping and was worried about that. How can they survive that long without food or water. Rose

2. ORChickFam

ORChickFam Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Oh no! I hope you get word soon on them. Have you called USPS? Sometimes their site glitches on tracking. :(

3. SimplyLogan

SimplyLogan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Cajun Country
    I have shipped many things usps with tracking and they hardly every scan after the initial system input. It don't surprise me. I hope you track them down. I believe the weather is supposed to get worse. I had seen other post about delayed arrivals. I wonder if the weather has already been a factor?

4. ladybead

I spoke with my local Post Office and he didn't have any more information than what I could see online. Rose

5. ladybead

I have been watching the weather from where they were shipped from in Lebanon, MO and they are just now getting the bad weather. I am in So. California it has been very warm here. I am sick to my stomach and dreading opening the box, thankfully my husband will be here on Saturday to help me with it. I live in a very rural area and know that my local Post Office will call me right away on Saturday morning. Keeping my fingers crossed. Rose

6. snaffle

snaffle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Illinois
    Call the hatchery and ask them to make some calls.

We found out a few years ago when my daughter ordered chicks... that one of the post offices on the route didnt like to bother with chicks and just let them sit

She ordered a lot of chicks for several people. I had a dozen in that shipment...most of them were dead when arrived or died within the next couple of days.

so sorry for you

7. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    If they were shipped from a warm state to a warm state, some of them may survive if they arrive by day 3 (which would be Saturday morning), but they will be very stressed physically. If they've had to travel through any of the states where temps are at or below freezing they'd have a really rough time of it, even with a heating pad in the shipping box. So many people are reporting high mortality rates of chicks being shipped this month. I hope your shipment gets there OK.

8. ladybead

Thanks, I hope it gets here tomorrow. Well lesson learned for me. I will only order locally. The only reason I ordered from them was because they had the breed that I wanted ready to ship and the other places weren't going to ship until the first week of May. Rose

9. ladybead

Well it is Saturday and no chicks. I called Cackle hatchery and told them I still have not received my chicks .She said they would re-ship, and I said only if you will ship Express, She told me maybe if we ship them further out meaning in April or May. I said further out will not fix the problem as shipping to my zip code is 3 days according to the USPS and I don't want to go through this again. I was told to call back on Monday to see if they arrive. I told her I really didn't want to even open the box on Monday.

I then called USPS and opened a case as the package was only scanned one time and as far as I know they are still in Missouri. I found out that any package that is shipping live animals is to be labeled on the box "Live Animals" and must be shipped via Express Mail as that is a guaranteed service where as Priority Mail is not a guaranteed service and can take a week or longer. I have to wonder if the package was labeled as having live animals. Lesson learned never order from a company that ships only priority. Rose

10. ORChickFam

ORChickFam Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Oh that's just terrible!! I can't even imagine getting the box on Monday! I don't get why priority is even an option for live animals either. Sadly it's a harsh lesson learned I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by