Worried my post is too small for my heavy gate. Need advice!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Knock Kneed Hen, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Hi,
    I'm still plugging away at this run I'm building. I built the door and decided to make it solid using scrap 2 x 4 's and 3/4" planks from left over materials. The door looks great, but it's very, very heavy!

I just purchased 18" heavy duty strap hinges and 3/4" pins to put through the posts, which are 4 x 4 (actually measures 3.5 x 3.5). The gate itself is 6 feet tall and 3 feet wide.

I'm now worrying that the post isn't beefy enough for such a heavy gate. I have no room to put a post in next to it since it's in concrete.

Do you think it'll be okay or should I scrap my scrap door and build another? I CAN cut some out of the top and add a piece of Lexan I have, that would take some weight off, but not much.

Thanks!

2. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Poplar Bluff , MO
    since it is in concrete you 4x4 post will be strong enough

3. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Thanks for your reply. :)

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Even in concrete with a heavy side load in any given rainy season a post will sag to some extent. One thing is with the gate being only 3 feet wide instead of a greater distance you won't have as much pressure as you may have bhad. How deep is the post? 2 feet in concrete if the soil was somewhat firm you probably will be fine with only a 3 foot gate.

Two main thing matter, how heavy is the gate and how deep is the post.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by