worried re: egg without a shell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lcatty, Dec 18, 2011.

1. lcatty

lcatty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Las Cruces, NM
    This has never happened before. One of my Easter Eggers laid an egg that was only membrane, and maybe the beginnings of a shell. It had the consistency of a water balloon, sort of. I cut it open and there was a normal yolk and white inside.

Is there something wrong with the hen? My feeding practices? I feed them 30% high protein feed (Startena) and 70% Layena (or similar local product). I added the Startena because the girls were picking frightfully; it did stop the picking. Also feed scratch and crumbled oyster shell. Then there's the occasional snack of fresh fruit or veggies.

Does anyone know what might cause this?

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Sometimes they just have a mis-fire. Only if it starts happening repeatedly is it worisome. I have a cuckoo marans that needs extra calcium or her shells get thinner and thinner.
    sharon

3. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I agree with a 'miss-fire', something doesn't signal the shell to form for some reason, I seem to have one hen that does this quite often though. If all the other egg shells are nice and hard, it is just random. They are really cool though and still edible, just eat them right away or cook them very well.

4. x2 as above

I dont like normal layer feed either, but it sounds like your a bit hot on the protein. It can be hard on the kidney's. have you tried blue seal breeder or non medicated purina chick starter with oyster shell free choice? They will get 18-20 % protein that way. Normal layer is 14-16%

5. bugkiller

bugkiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    ontario
    This has happend to me a couple times in the past month. From what i have been told it can be caused by a number of reasons. but also it can just happen for no reason at all. i have heard it can be a calcium deficiency as well as stress. If they have been moved, or preditors in the area. My 7 mth old barred rock layed a shell less egg 2 days in a row this week and 1 last week.

6. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    My marans doesn't seem to process the calcium very well. I have to feed her crushed egg shells and/or cheese to help. As long as I do that she lays fine. All the others seem to do okay.
    sharon

7. lcatty

lcatty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Las Cruces, NM
    Quote:I've noticed that the Black Copper Marans hens (now six months old) are starting to pick on the poor EEs and drive them away from the food. Also, the EEs are starting to roost during the day sometimes- seems like they are trying to get away from the others. Maybe it is stress and I should move my BCMs or do the "pen within a pen" thing.

Also, maybe will try reducing the protein a bit. That may not be causing the rubber egg but I don't want to damage their kidneys.

Thanks everyone for replying. I feel a little better. Maybe this was a fluke.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by