Worried that the wind will take them....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LizGled628, Aug 30, 2010.

1. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    With the threat of Hurricane Earl hitting the east coast, and with my first flock literally pecking at my back door, I got to wondering...

Have any of you had to weather nasty storms with your chickens, and worried they would get hurt? I brooded my babies in our garage, and they often hang out in there when they are free ranging (mostly just to bother Dad for treats!). So I was wondering if maybe I should bring them inside if a hurricane hits. We live a few hundred yards from the ocean, and although our coop is pretty secure, we have a TON of wobbly trees around their house in the yard. I would hate to leave them locked up, then watch as a tree takes them out or something.

Would you guys just leave them out there? Or am I being too cautious? I can't get the image from that movie "Twister" of the chickens flying around out of my head [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Definitely bring them in. They would be a great risk of injury from flying debris or the wind could conceivably blow them into something and hurt them. If you're afraid the trees would come down on their coop, can you put them in a temporary set up in the garage or something? They do NOT need to be left out with a storm coming.

3. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    I'm in Florida. Our plan if we have even tropical weather with high sustained gusts is to put them in the detached garage in brooders, hutches, cat carriers, make-shift pens, whatever - but not keep them in our garden shed coop. I don't trust it, and our girls deserve at least our best effort as I'm sure yours do. Good luck, hopefully it'll veer off into the Atlantic!! [​IMG]

4. LizGled628

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Thanks for the advice! I was concerned that I was being overly cautious and that my DH would think I was nuts for suggesting it...we will DEFINITELY be keeping them in the garage if the weather turns on us. Hopefully all this worry will be for nothing!

5. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    I would bring them in if you have the option, definently!

6. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Oh great something new to worry about [​IMG]

But seriously thanks for this thread. I live close enough to the Gulf Coast for that to be a potential concern here too. Now to make plans so I don't have to hustle at the last minute. [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

7. LizGled628

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Quote:Oh trust me, I worry enough for the whole lot of us!!! Glad we could help [​IMG]

8. verity

verity Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Clemmons
    Get them ready to move inside!

You should have seen us scurrying around a few weeks ago when the weather channel announced a tornado had been spotted in our area -- with the dreaded 'Take Cover Immediately!' warning ----

At least, with a hurricane you have a bit of time to make plans ---

Be safe!

9. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    "I can't get the image from that movie "Twister" of the chickens flying around out of my head"

I will not tell you that "Auntie Em! Auntie Em!!" went through my head when I read this. Nope, not gonna.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by