1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

worried: unpopular new hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by utahchicken, Nov 12, 2007.

1. utahchicken

utahchicken New Egg

Nov 12, 2007
    I currently have two 1 1/2 yr old Wyandottes that have been together forever, live in a small coop, and are free-range in the back yard. Two days ago I inherited a 6-month old Rhode Island red. On her first night, all three chickens were closed in the coop, but the next morning they were all eager to get out. I noticed some blood on the walls and minor scabs on the RIR's comb. On the second night, she was obviously afraid to enter the coop and instead slept on a tree branch. During the day the Wyandottes and the RIR roam opposite sides of the yard, but if the RIR wanders near the Wyandottes, they'll chase and jump on her.

Was it wrong to close these three hens in the coop together? Is there something I can do to minimize further problems, and to encourage her to sleep in the coop (since winter is fast approaching, and the nesting box is inside)?

Thanks so much!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

It will take a few weeks to settle down but keep her in there for now since you have already put them together. They have to dual it out on their own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by