Worried!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by flossyfelix, Nov 23, 2016.

1. flossyfelix

flossyfelix Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2016
    Lumberton, North Carolina
    I have a pond behind my house it's about 60 yards away give or take, lately my pair of pekins have been wondering back there & spending the day. This has just recently started- they have 2 kiddie pools in the yard. I have been going to get them around dusk & bring them home & putting them in their house, well, tonight my husband got home before me & could not get them home. (They are definitely MY ducks) I got home after dark & tried to get them home, but they just wouldn't come home tonight! Will they be OK in the pond over night, I will go first thing and check on them. I'm just worried about my babies. Since they are on the water they should be ok? Right?

2. luvmyduckies

luvmyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2016
    Upper Sandusky OHIO
    If they stay on the pond they will be much safer but it's hard to know if they will stay on the pond. I have found it difficult to round ducks up after dark and they seem to hate flashlights pointed at them. We have done it but it is difficult. If you can not get them tonight I would get up at dusk and have another try. I hope they are safe but it is going to be a long night.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Do they have treats that they are crazy about? I would try again to get them to come in. They may make it, but not a guarantee.

4. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Yeah, I wouldn't leave them out it at all possible. It's 50/50 if they will make it in the wild...being bigger, slower than would ducks. Being white dont help either :/
    The one time I lost a duck was coz I stupidly left him out coz he was fighting bad with the other drakes...owl got him.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  5. flossyfelix

Nov 10, 2016
    They love cat food but I just ran out last night. I just went back out there & tried again...but no luck. I took the empty catfood bag & they came to the edge, but once they figured out it was regular food they went right back in... they were ok, but I am not ok! Ahhh... yall say a duck prayer for my babies! & this momma too! [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Lilki

Lilki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    I'm really hoping your duckies are ok. Please let us know! At least they are much safer on the water than they would be on land.

Mine are really hard to get in if I try after dark. They even refuse to get out of the kiddie pool. I notice they naturally start milling around their pen about a half hour before dusk, so that's when I try to get them in.

7. flossyfelix

Nov 10, 2016
    OK everybody they are ok!! I went to check on them just as soon as it was light enough to see![​IMG] I left them down there just until I run & get some cat food!-- but they are SO grounded when they get home! I think today they just need to stay in the pin. This momma has had about all I can take for awhile!! **** ducks! Lol!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

You could buy a electric poultry fence.....I have one...I do not turn it on anymore...It would keep them in a decent sized area without being able to get to the pond....

Cheers!

9. flossyfelix

Nov 10, 2016

Yes, they are going in their pin for a couole of days. I'll put 1 of the kiddie pools in there w/ them- that will enough "pond" for a bit. I haven't thought about the the electric fence thing...where can you purchase them??

10. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by