1. Unobtanium

Unobtanium Chirping

May 13, 2018
    Pineville, MO
    I have had my wee flock of 10 for just a half a week, but one of my Black Stars sneezed when I was sitting in the coop watching them and handling them. I singled her out, snatched her up gently, and inspected her. She had a slight (very very, similar to a human being not during allergy season) build-up (a granule or two) of yellow colored discharge around her right eye, and both nares were exuding a mild amount of clear liquid, which appeared to dry to a white/gold consistency. Her sneeze was a bit congested sounding, and resulted in more of this watery liquid coming from her nares.

No other chickens seem to have this symptom.

Should I boot her?
    Is it too late to boot her?
    Will they all die?
    Will they all be "carriers for life" of something?
    If they do all die, do I simply soak the entire place in bleach and then hose the hell out of it, wait 2 weeks, and find more, or what?

Possibly over-reacting, but maybe not :/ ?

drumstick diva likes this.
  2. Unobtanium

Unobtanium Chirping

May 13, 2018
    Pineville, MO
    ETA: She's blowing snot bubbles and "barking" as best I can put it. I figure done is done, as she's gobbled all over those water-bucket teats, and so have all the others :(

Is this fixable? How? Prognosis? This sucks. 5 days in.

3. Hi. :frow

Where did you get them from and how old are they?

All good questions and concerns.

Over reacting... maybe. But maybe not! :barnie

I think it's too late to boot her. I don't think your whole flock will die. Sorry I don't know the other answers. :fl

4. Unobtanium

Unobtanium Chirping

May 13, 2018
    Pineville, MO
    I've had them 5 days.
    I got them from an Atwoods employee's personal flock at his house. He got them through Atwoods, I believe.
    They are about 5 months old.

5. http://www.poultrydvm.com/views/symptoms.php

So it could be infectious bronchitis, MC/MG, or respiratory tract infection as the most common things. I haven't dealt with any yet. Could be anything since they have been on someone else's pasture.

I wish chickens had allergies... and I'm not positive they don't... but no one seems to accept that as an issue for chickens. :(

It may not help... but since they just moved and it can be a stressful time since they are creatures of habit, it can bring things to the surface... so I might offer some immunity support in the form of vitamins and probiotics. Poultry nutri drench is a good choice. Many people use raw apple cider vinegar in the water or a spoonful of yogurt for the probiotics. Also I would ensure they are eating a formulated ration without excess treats like scratch or other low nutrient items.

Sorry I can't be more help... Maybe @Eggcessive can give you some good information?

6. featherhead007

featherhead007 Crowing

Feb 2, 2017
    Poplar- Porterville CA.
    I'm no help here, but I have a hen who has sneezes from when she was a chick.. and she's just fine, and so are all the others!

7. Unobtanium

Unobtanium Chirping

May 13, 2018
    Pineville, MO
    She's blowing snot bubbles and "barking". I don't think she's just fine and this is a quirk. This is an illness of some sort, I have no doubt, now, as i just went and looked at her.

8. featherhead007

featherhead007 Crowing

Feb 2, 2017
    Poplar- Porterville CA.
    Very sorry, I hope things get better with them. I'm hoping!

9. Unobtanium

Unobtanium Chirping

May 13, 2018
    Pineville, MO
    Indeed. I'm stressed about it.

-Will she die?
    -Will she take the others with her?
    -Will they/do they have a disease they will never be rid of?

10. featherhead007

featherhead007 Crowing

Feb 2, 2017
    Poplar- Porterville CA.
    Pray about it! I would! :bow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by