worried

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Crazy Rooster, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Crazy Rooster

Crazy Rooster Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2010
    Farmersville Texas
    went on lockdown on the 12th next day the eggs were shacking and moving 7 out of 10 now today is suposed to be hatch day and only 3 are barley moving and nothing from the other 4. has something went wrong temp the same humidity between 55 and 60. first hatch ?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You have nothing to worry about. Your humidity is good, and the chicks are full size now and can't move around inside the shell very easy. Give them time to hatch!!

3. Crazy Rooster

Crazy Rooster Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2010
    Farmersville Texas
    how many days past the original hatch day can it take

4. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    They have been known to hatch on day 27 or 28. I personally give mine to day 25 and then I give up.

5. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    If there are no pips on day 21. I will take each egg, put it to my ear and gently tap on the shell. More often than not the chick will scratch back. If there is life signs in the egg I will take a very sharp object and poke into the large end of the egg a hole so the chick can get air.

I have noticed in the eggs I hatch, very often if the chick is large then they get tired easily and can suffocate trying to get out when they run out of energy. Poking a hole in the end gives them fresh air access while they get up the energy to continue hatching, yet is doesn't cause them to bleed out by poking the veins should they not have totally absorbed yet.

And yes, I know, this can cause shrink wrapping due to lowering humidity. But at day 21 I'd rather have to help out a few shrink wrapped babies then have a whole hatch of dead chicks because they couldn't get out of the shell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by