Worried...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TX AG Lab Teacher, May 11, 2011.

1. TX AG Lab Teacher

TX AG Lab Teacher Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Houston
    Only one of my baby chicks hatched...on day 29! He is alone...is this ok? I feel bad for him. This was my first time doing this and I obviously learned a lot. However, I don't want the little guy to be alone...is it OK to go out and buy another chick to keep him company? I don't know what to do.

Also...I was holding him and he jumped out of my hand (about a 2.5 to 3 foot drop)- I was sitting at my computer trying to do some research on where to buy these and he was peeping a lot so I was holding him for a few minutes. He is fine...running around...still chirping every now and then. I haven't seen him eat only because I've been on the computer trying to figure out what to do.

[​IMG] I'm sad and don't know what to do. He is very attached to me and I love that, but I also feel bad that none of his buds hatched. What should I do? I don't even know where to buy him another friend (I'm in Houston).

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

2. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

You can usually find chicks available at most feed and farm supply stores. You can also check craigslist.

Try to get him a buddy that's less than a week old. I also only had one hatchling from our most recent hatch (we moved mid-incubation, so it was not surprising). We did acquire him a couple of little buddies, and now they are about 2-1/2 weeks old and making tons of noise in the brooder all night long! You are smart to consider getting a companion chick for him, as they are social animals and require company of their own kind in order to fluorish. Until you get him a chick, try putting a small but soft and fluffy stuffed animal in the brooder with him to snuggle up against.

Call around to the local feed stores there in and around Houston.

Good luck and keep us posted!

3. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    I would get him a friend (or two). Feedstores usually have chicks in the spring - call around to some local feedstores and see if they still have some. Try to not get the hybrids, as they grow too fast.

And don't worry about dropping him. They're pretty tough at this age... you should see how the hatcheries and commercial growers treat these poor babies...

4. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Did this chick *just* hatch out today, on day 29? If so, don't toss out the other eggs yet...perhaps more will hatch. In the meantime, you absolutely do need to find at least another chick for him/her ASAP. Chicks need other chicks. Checking on craigslist and at local feedstores, as someone here suggested, is a great idea, as is putting a small stuffed toy in the brooder with this chick until you can get another chick.

5. TX AG Lab Teacher

TX AG Lab Teacher Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Houston
    He started hatching Monday at about 12:30 p.m. and was completely out of his shell in his incubator Tuesday morning when I got to school at about 6:30 a.m. So I guess he's 2 days old?? I'll definitely look around. There are NO tractor supply stores near me and my school is not near where I live. I am thinking of taking him home for the night. Last night he stayed here- got some good advice from another person on here. But I HATED leaving him and it just breaks my heart. He is so cute. And its not his fault his buddies didn't hatch...he is so strong! I love him already. Also do feed stores sell chicks that are less than a week old?

The only feed store I know of is Tractor supply....yes I am so ignorant with this....but, I suppose most people might be their first go-around!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by