1. blondie26

blondie26 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2009
    My two hens have not been eating much laying crumbles lately. Now my Red Star is moulting - in December! She has not laid an egg in 4 days...so the moulting has just started. However, I also have seen RED in her poops! Not like streaks of blood but like part of the poo.... what is this? should I be concerned? Is it part of moulting? My other hen did not have poo like this when she moulted in August.

thanks for any input! We are having extremely cold nights here....

2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi blondie26, it may be intestinal lining, which is shed occasionally (more when the bird isn't eating). It's more pinkish/salmon than red but it can look quite disconcerting.

There could be other causes of red in the droppings, e.g. worms, so keep an eye on the droppings. If you see more of it then it's a good idea to answer all the questions in the medical sticky as best you can, and see if someone can suggest a cause.

If this bird isn't new to the flock and if she's not a young bird I wouldn't consider coccidiosis (just saying that because some people will try to tell you it is). It's possible, but just not likely.

I'd perhaps consider giving all the flock a check for lice, mites, and general health (especially feel around the breastbone to make sure they haven't lost condition). If they're not eating much, consider a protein treat just to get them through the moult a bit better.

But if the hen doesn't look unwell, has enough weight on, is behaving normally etc, then I wouldn't worry, personally.

cheers
    Erica

3. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Quote:X2. Very well said [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by