Worried

Discussion in 'Quail' started by quailfarm99, Feb 2, 2014.

1. quailfarm99

quailfarm99 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2014
    I'm worried about my quail, their a week old and I got them a box from a supermarket yesterday to use as a brooder, I got the box set up and they were fine last night, I woke up this morning and they were all oily like someone had put sunflower oil on them, I don't know how to get this stuff off them and I put them back in the incubator to see if they dry out :/

2. teradragon

teradragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Thats weird. Could they have gotten into the water dish and got wet? Is one sick and covering the others in spewtum? Incubator is probably the best place to dry them off again.

3. quailfarm99

Jan 31, 2014
    Their all very lively and happy and it's not water I've tried drying them with a towel and they seem still very sticky and oily hopefully they'll dry out asap

4. teradragon

well I have one that when it's picked up it "spits" clear liquid... that's kinda slimy and sticky. Wonder if it could be something like that? I once held it for a few minutes and my hand was sodden as was the quail! Yuck!

5. quailfarm99

Jan 31, 2014
    Indeed, their not drying off or anything but their cleaning themselves off so hopefully they'll clean up

6. quailfarm99

Jan 31, 2014
    We'll I woke up this morning and 3 of them were dead, so now I only have 3 left, it's ashame they were really friendly little things and I was looking forward to seeing them all growing up into adults

7. teradragon

sorry to hear that. At least you still have 3 to grow up. Could have been a genetic issue...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by