Worried

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by falls, Aug 9, 2014.

1. falls

falls New Egg

Aug 9, 2014
    My eggs are at day 22 and before lockdown everything looked okay. Yesterday morning I thought I had a pip in a couple of the eggs, and saw some rocking around. I even heard a few chirps. Now I am smelling a foul odor and nothing has hatched. The places that I though were pips have flattened back down I am worried that the pips I saw were really oozing and that my eggs have died. I still see some of the other eggs moving a bit. Haven't heard anything more. Am I just being impatient? what should I do? [​IMG]

2. Cindysid

Cindysid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    First examine each egg and see if you can determine where the odor is coming from. If you have a good candler you may be able to detect movement. If that fails you can try the float test, and see if you have any wobbling in the water. As a last resort I would open up one of the pip holes enough that you can see inside the egg enough to detect movement or breathing. Best of luck!

3. falls

falls New Egg

Aug 9, 2014
    Okay, I did a float test on all 6 and only one was absolutely positive. I am concerned that I am not doing this correctly and don't want to give up on them if they are not moving in the water. What was weird was that the "ooze" seemed to wash off and the egg was perfect underneath. Not so much as a pinhole ! I really am feeling uncertain about this whole process. I am sure I saw one of the "failed" eggs rolling from side to side a bit this morning.

4. Cindysid

Cindysid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    did any hatch?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by