1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

worry about chemicals leeching into fermented food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Jewelwing, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Jewelwing

Jewelwing Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2013
    East Central Illinois
    I'm just starting my first flock (they're just over a month old), and so far I've fed them their fermented food in the plastic chick trough feeder I originally bought for them - with the top removed, now that their heads are bigger. Now I'm thinking about what to get to give them their fermented food in once they're big birds living in the coop. I've seen some pretty nifty designs people have done, like sections of PVC pipe or gutter.

But I'm worried about the chemicals that might leech from the PVC into their food, and then into their eggs. I've so carefully fed them non-GMO organic food! The aluminum gutter I looked at seemed like it had a coating on it, so that worries me too.

Thoughts?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    pvc is used for domestic water supply so I doubt there is any leaching to be of concern.

3. Jewelwing

Jewelwing Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2013
    East Central Illinois
    Yeah, but not once it reaches the house - then it has to be copper or PEX. The drinking water that is in the PVC pipes before it reaches your house is moving all the time, not sitting and soaking up vinyl chloride, so although there is some leaching going on, it's hopefully not a lot. And it seems like fermented food might soak up more since it's acidic (I'm just guessing on that one). The EPA classifies PVC as Group A, a human carcinogen, and chronic oral exposure has been shown to result in liver damage.

So anyway, I worry. I guess the best food container would be glass, but that doesn't seem very practical for chickens.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by