Worry about too much corn?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by joyful1014, Jun 23, 2011.

1. joyful1014

joyful1014 New Egg

May 11, 2011
    I have 4 hens (about 12 weeks old), and about a dozen ears of corn I'd like to get rid of. Is it ok to give it all at once, or is it possible that it's too much?

Thanks!

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    If we're talking about fresh corn on the cob it's mostly water to begin with so it wouldn't be like feeding them a dozen ears of dry field corn.

I'd give them an ear apiece each day until it's all gone. Mine will pick a cob cleaner than I can.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Well, I consider corn a treat, so I'd probably just give them an ear a day. If they've never had it before, your pullets may not even be interested in it at first. If I threw that many ears of corn out, my dogs would end up eating 80% of them...lol.

4. confusedturtle

confusedturtle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Virginia
    What is better dry corn or fresh? I have been giving mine fresh corn that is a little less fresh than I like and they gobble it up. How much should they be getting a day? I have 4 chicks in the coop/run & 2 newbies in a temporary brooder [​IMG]

5. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    You could freeze the extras and give them a partially defrosted ear on those really hot days as sort of "chicken ice cream". We do that with a few things and they really like it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by