Worry Wart help me out please

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickster2012, Jan 30, 2013.

1. chickster2012

chickster2012 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2012
    Dawsonville, GA
    I live in Dawsonville, GA. I want to know how do others keep your chickens in winter weather. Like today lot's of rain it's mid 60's will get into the 30's tonight. When it rains and it's going to be cold is it ok to let them out of the coop/run. I do everything I can to keep them dry and warm. I have frizzle's, crested, silkies's and cochin's those type birds. I only keep around 15 or 20. I know it's unfair to keep them in when I let them out everyday. Just would like to know how others keep their babies.

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/736771/can-chickens-stand-the-cold-weather

Your're actually in a pretty temperate area and your birds are fine to be outside all year long. We have members in Northern Michigan, Canada and Alaska who keep birds and they do fine with those extreme temps.Those of us in the pacific northwest usually let our birds decide if they want to be in our out, my birds are about 50/50 on being out in the rain. Birds are pretty tough! You probably have native birds out and about all year round where you live, if those tiny sparrows and finches are okay, your chicken are too!

3. Uzair Ahmed

Uzair Ahmed Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2013
    Pakistan
    agree with you brother.. I just let my pets decide wther they want to go out or not...

But honestly they love to play in Rain :D

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    In GA, it will never get cold enough that you have to keep your chickens in, and it will certainly never get cold enough to need a heat light.

Let your chickens have the choice whether or not they want to go out. I have some that go out in all weather, and some that won't put a toe outside in the snow. Both groups do equally well. It's raining like crazy outside right now, and about half my flock is wandering around looking for worms that are coming to the surface in the pasture. It's 60 degrees here right now--a huge warm spell for January in Ohio. Feathers are amazing things. Warm, light, and waterproof.

I open the coop pop-door every single day. Most days the hens go out, a few days they don't. They're not into deep snow or freezing rain. :)

Here, does this make you feel better?

[​IMG]

5. chickster2012

chickster2012 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2012
    Dawsonville, GA
    Thank you all so very much. I grew up around chickens but never had my own to until April of last year. I read a lot on raising chickens and sometimes what I'm reading scares me. I read and hear horror stories. I have lost a few since I've started raising them it just breaks my heart. I read that the crested chickens feathers on their head can freeze them. You will probably laugh at this when their heads get wet before they settle in a night I will get hair dryer and dry them. Thank you all I will let my chickens decide and let them play. I did take the heat lamp out a week ago. I realize I needed to let them adjust to the temps. This website has helped me so much. Yes the pic helps out. So I'm going outside now and let them out. Thank you all for responding.

6. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

I used to worry on rainy days and windy days and would lock up the girls they would not be happy I have learned they know what makes them happy and let them chose what they want to do. I keep my girls in the coop during the winter at night except when we hit 32 and below then I birng them inside thats only been a few times and thats to make me and my family sleep better other wise everyone is up worrying about the girls. I am sure they would be fine but lack of sleep make for grumpy humans [​IMG].

7. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

the first rain storm my girls stayed out in it was pouring down rain me and my daughter pulled each chicken out from under the bushes we got soaked to teh bone and muddy i would hand them off ot my daughter and she would towl dry them off and put them in we soon relized there feathers are pretty well waterproof for the most part not one under feather was wet in the end kid and i was mess and the girls were ticked they had to come in. :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by