1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Worry wort

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Edgerton Farm, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Edgerton Farm

Edgerton Farm New Egg

Sep 29, 2016
    I am new to hatching chicks. Have tried several times with only one to two eggs at a time due to layers being young and not laying much. I have a LG 9300, struggling with humidity and have added bowls of water and wet towels, think it is now ok. Have two eggs in bator now, at day 21, no movement or chirping but one one the eggs has started in the last hour having spots on the shell that appear porous and also a ring around one end of egg that appears the same. Is the chick in trouble, or is this normal? Going crazy!!! as I have not experienced a hatch( they die between day 18 and 21). Please help.

2. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG]

If you're having trouble with hatching, there are a few tips that might help in the future:

calibrate your thermometer and hygrometer
    use more than one therm & hyg, so you can compare readings
    in the first 17 days, use a lower humidity (25-35%), increase it (65-75%) at day 18

I'm on day 22, with 20 shipped eggs I bought from a breeder. None of them have even pipped. (Shipped eggs are high risk due to handling) I think I have one that is developing similar signs as yours.

If they don't stink, I'd give it another day or two, if it does stink, find the bad egg and remove it promptly!

Hope this helps! Good luck!

3. Edgerton Farm

Edgerton Farm New Egg

Sep 29, 2016
    Thanks, I will try to be patient. So far no odor although I have had that happen as well.

4. n8ivetxn

n8ivetxn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Elma, Washington
    Keep us posted on what happens, I'm curious to know! [​IMG]

5. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard chickens! I do not know anything about incubating YET, so I will leave that to the experts, I just wanted to say hello and welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by