Worrying in advance - will I have a roo?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by leight54, May 12, 2011.

1. leight54

leight54 Chillin' With My Peeps

My 2 chicks are only 2 weeks old, but I'm but I'm experiencing the what-if-one's-a-rooster anxiety. Will I know by 8 weeks? Or will I have to wait longer, do you think?

The reason for the 8 week deadline is that my daughter in Michigan (I'm in New Hampshire) assured me she would take him/them, if it comes to that. I'm planning a trip out there at the end of June (chicks will be 8 weeks at that point) and can take them to her. So if I know I'll know by them, I'll be put at ease that it will all work out.

One is a Partridge Chantecler and one is an Ameraucana.

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    You should know well before 8 weeks if you have a roo or not!!

3. leight54

leight54 Chillin' With My Peeps

The next question would be: Can 8 week-old chicks make a 13 hour car trip without too much trauma?

4. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    You should know if you have a roo - the wattles and comb will be larger and redder than a hen. Google and do a search so you can see the difference.

I think if you have something like a dog carrier - and just make sure they have food and water - they should be fine. Just try to keep everything not too hot, not too cold, calm, and quiet to help reduce stress.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Yes, moving chickens for 500 miles is often done. We do it once or twice a year between Michigan and Kentucky. However, if it is summer, we only travel in the late evenings and through the night. Leave at 8 pm and arrive at 9 am is 13 hours. Frankly, they'll sleep and not even need water, if done this way. I would find it difficult to do safely any other way, during the summer.

We use a transport crate, 6 feet wide made to be socketed into the class three hitch on the back. You've seen everything from bikes, luggage and scooters for the disabled carried this way. The chickens get lots of air and the smell is outside. Or, I'd use crates and put them in a utility trailer.

Moved a trio inside the car, one time. Won't do that again.[​IMG]

6. Dutchess

Dutchess Chillin' With My Peeps

Fred's Hens :

Yes, moving chickens for 500 miles is often done. We do it once or twice a year between Michigan and Kentucky. However, if it is summer, we only travel in the late evenings and through the night. Leave at 8 pm and arrive at 9 am is 13 hours. Frankly, they'll sleep and not even need water, if done this way. I would find it difficult to do safely any other way, during the summer.

We use a transport crate, 6 feet wide made to be socketed into the class three hitch on the back. You've seen everything from bikes, luggage and scooters for the disabled carried this way. The chickens get lots of air and the smell is outside. Or, I'd use crates and put them in a utility trailer.

Moved a trio inside the car, one time. Won't do that again.[​IMG]

Wow! That's quite a trip!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by