Worse diarrhea after worming

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LindaNL, Jun 17, 2019.

1. LindaNL

LindaNL Chirping

Apr 19, 2015
    I hope someone can help me! Is this normal, or should I go to the vet...

Thursday I dewormed my chickens with Valbazen. Everyone is fine, but one 4.5yr old chicken has bad diarrhea now (feathers are all watery because of the diarhea), she barely eats, drinks a lot, sits still (doesn't come to me when I call her). It looks like she is getting worse every day.

I might have given her too much or too little of the medicine, since she didn't want to eat the bread soaked with it. I've tried different things, and eventually she ate it with vegan cheese, but I don't know how much she exactly had (my guess is that she had a bit too little). I also am not sure if vegan cheese is ok for chickens to eat...

There could also be something else wrong. I noticed in May that she acted weird and I gave her an epsom salt bath. Next day she acted very normal again (active)! The way she is now reminds me of the way she was that one day in May.

Then there was the incident with the dog. A few hours before worming her she almost got caught by a dog. She was in shock for about an hour, but seemed to be alright again later that day.

What could be wrong with her? Should I go to the vet? Unfortunately I'm not too happy with our vet, since he'd always made wrong diagnoses so far.

*The picture shows the tiny little bright green thing in her watery diarrhea

groene poep.jpg

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How much Valbazen did you give? Dosage is around a 1/2 ml, and if you doubled that, she should still be fine from that. Will she eat for you, maybe some cooked egg and wet chicken feed? Is she drinking okay? Her green poop looks like she hasn’t been eating.

RhodeIslandRed5 and Sequel like this.
  3. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Could be a reproductive problem, especially at that age.

4. LindaNL

LindaNL Chirping

Apr 19, 2015
    I was a bit afraid of that as well.. And there's no way to test that, right?

5. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Your vet might. But there's nothing that can be done for that. If she starts just starving herself, you might consider just putting her out of her misery. :hugsSome chickens just do that way after their egg laying years are over.

6. LindaNL

LindaNL Chirping

Apr 19, 2015
    I'm not sure how much she got (I did aim for 1/2ml), but I think it wasn't quite enough.
    She eats a little bit, but mostly she 'eats fake'. I did try a little piece of egg just now. She was excited to see it, but after 1 bite she slowed down and it took her long to finish it.
    She is drinking a lot, more than usual!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    RhodeIslandRed5 likes this.
  7. LindaNL

LindaNL Chirping

Apr 19, 2015
    I do think she still lays though. There was an egg in the coop today and yesterday (it could be from the other 4.5yr old hen, but I thought she was done laying). Is it a good sign if she still lays?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    RhodeIslandRed5 likes this.
  8. LindaNL

LindaNL Chirping

Apr 19, 2015
    Just wanted to give an update about my chicken.
    She was very very sleepy today, she was sleeping on my lap and rested her head on my arm, I could hear her heartbeat..
    It was very sad, we made an appointment to euthanize her :'( , so she is gone now.
    Everything went very quickly.
    I will miss her, she was the best!

Sequel likes this.
  9. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Oh, no. I am so sorry for your loss. I had a pet rabbit years back that I had put to sleep because there was nothing left to do for her. If I could, I'd hug you in person. :hugs

LindaNL likes this.
  10. Sequel

Sequel Crowing

I'm so sorry for your loss! You are a kind and loving chicken keeper! :hugs

LindaNL likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: