Worse morning of my life!!! :'(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by TinyTotsSeramas, Jun 27, 2011.

1. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    My husband and I noticed over the weekend that our one Button Quail's head was all torn up like she had been flying up an hitting the top of the bird cage.. so we figure that if something was messing with them, that they'd be safe in out chick brooder that we have placed on our front portch since they would have more room to hide... well we were very wrong!!! This morning we wake up to one of my girl's, pulled half way through the chicken wire with her head torn off and laying beside the brooder!! Their no bigger then finches and I have a hard time getting them from the top of the brooder, how can something get them from the side through the wire!? I dont get it...
    [​IMG]

here she was... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I've watched baby chicks walk right up next to the chicken wire with a raccoon waiting on the other side. Needless to way, the chicks did not live to tell the story and I managed to chase the coon away before he ate all of them.

3. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Raccoons are notorious for reaching in and killing. Also I'm not sure if quail are the same as chickens, but when it's dark out my chickens won't even move. They would run from me for dear life but as soon as they can't see they don't even try.

4. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    That is just awful. I am so sorry this happened to you.[​IMG]

5. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    That is horrible. I hope you figure out what did this and can put a stop to it.

6. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I agree that is was probably a raccoon.[​IMG]

7. ArkaFarmaMama

ArkaFarmaMama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2011
    So very sorry! Pretty sure it was a coon! We had some hens in a coop that had wire bottoms and the coons got under
    and ripped their legs off. Sounds like it's time to get a live trap, set it next to them with fresh bread, cooked rice, veggies in it to identify
    the critter. Cats won't generally go for those but coons sure will!

8. TinyTotsSeramas

TinyTotsSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Smithsburg
    Quote:Last year when I was pregnant with my daughter I went out to get something out of my car and my husband left the windows down and I had a bag of chips in the car an I had little bandit foot prints all over my car seats, dashboard, windsheild and even on my head rest!!!
    It was cute then but now their going DOWN!! [​IMG]

9. pottymouthspoultry

pottymouthspoultry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    Adirondack Mountains
    Sorry... I know it's heartbreaking. Raccoons are notorious for exactly what happened to your bird... And they know to come back, so be careful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by