Worst experience thus far. Copperhead got 5 turkey poults!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Benelli, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Benelli

Benelli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    We brought 12 turkey poults home that didn't seem like they were going to make it the first night. They had blood in their poo. Got them through that and about a week later lost one and I'm not sure why. Got two more poults from a different breeder and kept them seperated for a few days. First night a huge storm came through and drenched them even though they had cover, also tore down my peacock enclosure too. Built a really nice brooder for all the poults. They had one good night in the brooder. A five foot long Cottonmouth was in the brooder when I went out yesterday morning. He'd killed five babies and eaten two before I got there. I've never had problems with snakes before with all my peeps and peafowl. I just feel doomed at this point to have turkeys. I knew they were hard to raise, but it just seems like one thing after another. Needless to say, we've revamped the brooder and have snake repellant down. Hoping this poult experience gets better. I've always had much better luck with peeps. Thanks for letting me vent.

2. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Wow, not a good start! Hopefully you will have better luck (and no more snakes) in the future.

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Wow, that really sucks!! Sorry for your loss!! [​IMG]

4. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    That's awful, I'm so sorry! Hope it goes better from here on out.

5. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] [​IMG] I am so sorry this happened to you. We had a black snake kill one of our 1 week old chicks last year. We were new to chickens. Wish you lots of luck in the future.

6. Benelli

Benelli Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2009
    If it had been a non-poisonous we probably wouldn't have lost so many. I think he was having fun just striking away in there until he settled down to eat. He would have killed more if I'd not found him when I did. He couldn't get back out once he got in, he was too fat with poults in him!!!!!!!!!!

7. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Was it a copperhead or a cottonmouth?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by