Worst Smellin Poop I've Experienced.

ChickAudie

Songster
7 Years
Sep 25, 2012
Hello, thanks for looking!

I brought home two, two year old chickens from a BYCer. Yesterday, I noticed that they smelled 100xs worse than my flock of eight 8-13 week olds. Then I noticed a pile of gross egg whitish stuff in their quarantine pen. This morning I went to check on them in te garage and tossed my breakfast it was THAT bad. They seem active and alert. Do you think it could just be rehoming stress? Or should I be concerned?

Also, when setting up their q-pen, one of them escaped and immediately ran to my flock who was free ranging. Should I be worried they could all be sick????

Hello, thanks for looking!

I brought home two, two year old chickens from a BYCer. Yesterday, I noticed that they smelled 100xs worse than my flock of eight 8-13 week olds. Then I noticed a pile of gross egg whitish stuff in their quarantine pen. This morning I went to check on them in te garage and tossed my breakfast it was THAT bad. They seem active and alert. Do you think it could just be rehoming stress? Or should I be concerned?

Also, when setting up their q-pen, one of them escaped and immediately ran to my flock who was free ranging. Should I be worried they could all be sick????
There's no telling what you're dealing with. There's the possibility your flock could be infected if there's a problem with the newbies. You might want to call the BYCer you got them from and ask questions.

Thank you for your responses. I really appriciate it. I did send a message, hopefully will get a response soon.
he.gif

There was one who made a bolt for it when I put them in the quarantine pen. It took me about 30 mins to catch her, I can imagine the damage that was possibly done on 30 minute on my 1/4 acre. So not happy right now.

The bird you chased around the yard certainly stressed her. Now that you have her quarantined, the stress should expose or "bring out" any respiratory symptoms such as wheezing, gurgling, bubbly or swollen eyes, runny nostrils etc...hopefully this wont happen. Visually inspect both of them for bumps, bruises, lice/mites, bumblefoot, scales on the legs, check their ears, oil gland, look inside their mouth, worm them etc etc etc....hopefully it'll all work out for you after your conversation with the previous owner.

I checked on them a little bit ago and the smell is getting better. They also looked at me very unamused. I did check them over for mites/lice. Their eyes look clear and no discharge and thank you for giving me some things to look for. I will certainly keep them on close watch.

Back
Top Bottom