Worth a try follow on thread - how to store collected eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kymw90, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Kymw90

Kymw90 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2012
    Cornwall UK
    My Coop
    Where is the best place to store my collected eggs while I wait for a good amount to build up.

I'm going be checking the mangers properly and secret hides. I have two problems, one! what temp and where is a good place to put the eggs? Can you put fertile eggs in the fridge and they'll still be ok???

two! how do I stop my family members eating them haha just kidding!

I understand that time stored decreases fertility

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Generally, you want to keep eggs at 50-65 degrees until you are ready to set them. If you have a cooler area of the house (like a basement, etc), you can put them there.

3. harvestmoonfarm

harvestmoonfarm New Egg

May 23, 2013
    What about turning them while storing? I read they should be placed in cardboard egg carton large end up in cooler room while collecting. Now I just read they should also be turned, which I have not been doing. I have 12 Barnevelder eggs collected but wonder if I should start over???

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Its not completely necessary to turn them while they're being stored. I usually don't turn them during storing.

5. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    I kept mine large end up in a carton for about 5 days while I was waiting for some other eggs to put in together. I just tilted the carton and put something under one end of it a couple of times a day. We're on day 12 of incubation right now and 2 of those were infertile to start with and one quit but the rest are doing great. I stored them right on my kitchen counter which is about 69 degrees.

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    I turn mine while storing but then I store mine quite a while to collect as many eggs as possible before hatching. I'll never do staggered hatches, it makes no sense to me to have small batches constantly popping out. Last year I collected a bit over 2 weeks and numbered them. In reality there was no distinction of hatchability from first eggs collected to last. Our house is at most 66F in winter heating months and have humidifier running. Store mine right on dinning room side cupboard in egg cartons. This year I'm only collecting from a trio and will be hatching three rounds of that so likely will collect and turn for three weeks prior to incubating.

You can store in fridge but your hatch rate will greatly decrease. Threads here on people doing just that or threads here on hatching Trader Joe eggs. Now that's eggs from a store and refridgerated so who knows how old.

7. harvestmoonfarm

harvestmoonfarm New Egg

May 23, 2013
    Thanks! Incubator set up and we will start tonight!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by