Worth dubbing?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Zahboo, May 17, 2010.

1. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I think he's beautiful as is, but if he's good quality I'd like to show. He's supposed to be a Silver Duckwing OE. That's his girl, she was supposed to be the same, but has a rose comb (he has a single comb)

How bad does dubbing hurt?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I wouldnt do it...sorry. I think its kinda selfish and mean to cut on an animal and cause it pain for showing...
    BUT.. this is JUST my opinion... i know alot of folks do it...
    And yes, dubbing hurts.. dont believe anyone who says otherwise...

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  3. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I really don't want to do it, but I got birds to show. I just personally think the combs and colors are what makes a rooster worth keeping (well that and him doing his services) Do you think 4H lets you show while still ahving a comb?

4. aveca

aveca Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Waverly, NY
    Wonderful male , I think his girls back is a tad long otherwise you would have s super nice show pair..Hes a good bird...Should do well with him. I think some shows actually offer non-dubbed classes and I dont think judges are minding them natural, you might like to check that out.. more and more are showing up al, la natural..

Dubbing is up to you.. Its one of those things that ignites a lot of passion, better not spoken about ..people just care about the birds and dont want to see them hurt..I have an australorps rooster that frostbite dubbed..He had a fulley heated rooster pad but he squeezed out the door and I looked out the window and saw a black blob crouched in the corner of the rooster pen..the wind and snow had drifted him out and he couldnt get back in...I had to pick him up and carry him in his heated pen. actually I brought him in the house for a while but I knew it wasnt going to be good..the hens in thier pen wenrt that adventerous they stayed inside most all winter and didnt suffer any frostbite..he literally looks like somone dubbed him. not good for an australorps..hes in good health other than that..

An old timer told me that long long time ago farmers dubbed thier rooster just for that reason, in northern regions to wardoff frostbitten tops and some for fighting roosters...there was a period of time called the dark ages, it was a mini ice age, and not a lot was written during that time mostly just people trying to survive..it was snowing in june and july and ponds were frozen and people just trying to keep animals fed...tough times ..they didnt have the medicines we do today and couldnt afford to loose breeding roosters to infections from frostbitten combs.. he said they think the trend started during that time..

5. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
    I would say dub him. Games just look better dubbed and it is over with in a few seconds. Combs and wattles look fine on other breeds but are just not fitting on games.

6. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    How do I dub him to make it as painless as possible. I want to gather as much information as possible before I decide yes or no.

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I would dub ,game just don't look right with a comb....Have someone who shows them, dub him for you..Nice lookin bird, should do good in the show.

8. Redcatcher

Redcatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    At My Desk!
  9. JSGamefowl

JSGamefowl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2009
    Quote:thats good info but its hard if you dont have a good pair of sharp shears just get you a razor you can do it with that , its not hard , but i would get some one to show you on your first one if you wanna show him in case you mess it up and dont get it even, i dub almost all my american games

10. Heather08

Heather08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Florida
    The hen kinda looks like a brassy back to me , thou ive not seen enough SDW to know the difference, i just love the brassy back hens however , she does seem a bit lighter in the head then some ove seen so maybe that is the difference.

Im going to dub my own and get familiar with it. Doing it at night I think will have him relaxed and ready to jsut roost and settle for the night, JMO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by