Wortman

wortman

In the Brooder
Jan 8, 2017
Jerico Springs mo
Hello in a new chicken own I have 6 chickens and having so problem with them not going back in to the coop at night at first it was only three that would go back in now it's all of them what do I do do I need to put them in or just let them be please help

welcome-byc.gif
Check the coop to make sure that it is not infested with mites. Also make sure that a predator is not gaining access and harassing them. If everything is okay, then lock them in the coop until they regard it as home. Do you have a covered run ? Sleeping outside leaves them vulnerable to predators.

Welcome to BYC - so glad you've joined us.
A little more information will help us to help you/your birds. How old are the birds in question and how long have you had them in the current housing setup? What is your general location? Can you take photos of your coop/run setup showing the exterior and interior so we can better understand it from your birds' perspective - or, failing that, describe it with dimensions of both the interior and exterior spaces, the types of roosts, how the interior is arranged, etc?

G’Day from down under wortman
frow.gif
Welcome!

When you say that they are not going into the coop at night, is this from free range or from an enclosed run?

Chickens in a new environment are not used to judging bed time. While it is still light enough outside, when it starts to get dark outside and time to sleep, their coop is already too dark to see in. Some coop lighting until they get settled into a routine might help.

If they had been using the coop and roost and have suddenly stopped, as sourland has suggested, this could be related to mites feeding off them during the night or something [? rodents] in the coop giving them a scare.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

I will get pics tomorrow they have a coop in a pin area they use to be free range but we're I live at can't be free ranged there loss dog that run that are not mine the thing is three of them were going in to the coop at night until tonight all six of them didn't and there a light in the coop so they can see

I will get pics tomorrow they have a coop in a pin area they use to be free range but we're I live at can't be free ranged there loss dog that run that are not mine the thing is three of them were going in to the coop at night until tonight all six of them didn't and there a light in the coop so they can see

Just my opinion but if they were using the coop and roost and are not now, something will have changed to upset them. Definitely check for mites and larger intruders.

If you can, when they are locked in the coop, keep a close eye on them, hopefully their actions might point you in the direction of the issue or you will be able to see it yourself.

:welcome   Check the coop to make sure that it is not infested with mites.  Also make sure that a predator is not gaining access and harassing them.  If everything is okay, then lock them in the coop until they regard it as home.  Do you have a covered run ?  Sleeping outside leaves them vulnerable to predators.

The coop is clean and no predators can get them and the run is covered

welcome-byc.gif

The other greeters have given you some things to consider. Other than those ideas, I would suggest you just pick them up and put them in as it starts to get dark, then close the coop door. After a few nights of that, they should get the idea.

Chicken wire, will not protect them from any predators. They can tear right through it. It will only keep chickens inside.

Back
Top Bottom