would 6 weeks be ok to go out side

remington3006

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 29, 2010
i am hopeing to move my 26 chicks out side soon they are only 4.5 weeks old i know to early but would 6 be ok. going to move them in to a 10x12 dog pin inside my .5 acer dog lot that is no longer used( i just let them run). so is tis ok

I don't know where you live or what your weather is like, but I raise mine in a brooder in the coop and stop supplemental heat at around 4 to 5 weeks old. Unless you are in some really weird climate, 6 weeks is plenty old enough for them to go without heat.

I do keep them locked in the coop for a while longer, usually until around 8 weeks. Part of that is so they get used to the coop being home and they will go in there at night, but partly because I am a bit uncomfortable with chicks that young wandering around outside. They are a good size for hawks and other predators. At 8 weeks I just let them go.

This is for brooder raised chicks though, not broody raised chicks. A broody Mama will teach them some facts of life. The brooder raised chicks have to go by instinct alone. You'd be surprised how good this instinct is, so I am probably just being over-protective, but that is just me.

thanks very much i and from wv i was prity sure they would be fine but i always ask the same question every year i gess it is for rea sureence thanks

I moved mine to their coop last year at about 6 weeks old. I kept them locked in the coop until 8 weeks old. I also kept a heat lamp in the coop until they were 8 weeks old. I did see them laying near the heat lamp ocassionally.

I moved mine out to the coop at 2 weeks, we had 26 and they were really getting over-crowded for the brooder, our coup is 10'x12' so we took one side where the roosts are and cliped on the red heat lights, It was pretty warm when I moved them out there and one 250 wt bulb was enough, then it turned cold, down to freezing and went up to 3 of the lights, haven't gotten the electric bill yet but with 3 250wt bulbs going almost 24/7 I'm sure it will increase, but the babies, now almost 4 weeks old they are very happy to have all that room, and love the sun coming in during the day. I just have to monitor the temp accordingly.

terry's chicks :

I moved mine out to the coop at 2 weeks, we had 26 and they were really getting over-crowded for the brooder, our coup is 10'x12' so we took one side where the roosts are and cliped on the red heat lights, It was pretty warm when I moved them out there and one 250 wt bulb was enough, then it turned cold, down to freezing and went up to 3 of the lights, haven't gotten the electric bill yet but with 3 250wt bulbs going almost 24/7 I'm sure it will increase, but the babies, now almost 4 weeks old they are very happy to have all that room, and love the sun coming in during the day. I just have to monitor the temp accordingly.

You can buy something called a thermocube. It's a temperature controlled outlet. It turns the lights, or whatever, on at 35 degrees and off at 45 degrees. I use one for my mini greenhouse in the winter, so I don't have to monitor the weather.​

Back
Top Bottom