would 6 weeks be ok to go out side

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by remington3006, Mar 30, 2011.

1. remington3006

remington3006 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    i am hopeing to move my 26 chicks out side soon they are only 4.5 weeks old i know to early but would 6 be ok. going to move them in to a 10x12 dog pin inside my .5 acer dog lot that is no longer used( i just let them run). so is tis ok

2. Doopy

Doopy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    Sure.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't know where you live or what your weather is like, but I raise mine in a brooder in the coop and stop supplemental heat at around 4 to 5 weeks old. Unless you are in some really weird climate, 6 weeks is plenty old enough for them to go without heat.

I do keep them locked in the coop for a while longer, usually until around 8 weeks. Part of that is so they get used to the coop being home and they will go in there at night, but partly because I am a bit uncomfortable with chicks that young wandering around outside. They are a good size for hawks and other predators. At 8 weeks I just let them go.

This is for brooder raised chicks though, not broody raised chicks. A broody Mama will teach them some facts of life. The brooder raised chicks have to go by instinct alone. You'd be surprised how good this instinct is, so I am probably just being over-protective, but that is just me.

4. remington3006

remington3006 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    thanks very much i and from wv i was prity sure they would be fine but i always ask the same question every year i gess it is for rea sureence thanks

5. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I moved mine to their coop last year at about 6 weeks old. I kept them locked in the coop until 8 weeks old. I also kept a heat lamp in the coop until they were 8 weeks old. I did see them laying near the heat lamp ocassionally.

6. terry's chicks

terry's chicks Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2011
    I moved mine out to the coop at 2 weeks, we had 26 and they were really getting over-crowded for the brooder, our coup is 10'x12' so we took one side where the roosts are and cliped on the red heat lights, It was pretty warm when I moved them out there and one 250 wt bulb was enough, then it turned cold, down to freezing and went up to 3 of the lights, haven't gotten the electric bill yet but with 3 250wt bulbs going almost 24/7 I'm sure it will increase, but the babies, now almost 4 weeks old they are very happy to have all that room, and love the sun coming in during the day. I just have to monitor the temp accordingly.

7. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    terry's chicks :

I moved mine out to the coop at 2 weeks, we had 26 and they were really getting over-crowded for the brooder, our coup is 10'x12' so we took one side where the roosts are and cliped on the red heat lights, It was pretty warm when I moved them out there and one 250 wt bulb was enough, then it turned cold, down to freezing and went up to 3 of the lights, haven't gotten the electric bill yet but with 3 250wt bulbs going almost 24/7 I'm sure it will increase, but the babies, now almost 4 weeks old they are very happy to have all that room, and love the sun coming in during the day. I just have to monitor the temp accordingly.

You can buy something called a thermocube. It's a temperature controlled outlet. It turns the lights, or whatever, on at 35 degrees and off at 45 degrees. I use one for my mini greenhouse in the winter, so I don't have to monitor the weather.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by