Would a 8-9 month DP rooster be good for

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Azriel, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    smoking? I'm thinking of buying myself a smoker for Christmas. I love smoked turkey & chicken, and thought it might be a good way to fix an older DP rooster, but don't know if this qualifies as slow cooking. I normally roast my birds, but this would be a yummy change and great gifts if they wouldn't turn out to tough.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I have no experience with using a smoker, but seems like it should work on an older bird. How long does the smoking process take? Why not do one and send it to me for a test test? [​IMG] I'll be objective and honest. [​IMG]

3. Azriel

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    I think it takes about 8-10 hours, so I would think that would work out OK, but was hoping someone had done some already.

4. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    If you post this question on the social/recipes forum, I bet you would get a ton of adivce and recommendations. They have some terrific cooks that post on there and there have been some wonderful smopking meats threads. They have convinced me that I need to get a smoker ...

5. Azriel

Jun 19, 2010
    Montana
    OH, good idea, I never thought of that, I just thought the meat people would be the right ones to ask. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by