Would a bantam roo provide any protection for my girls?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by horsewishr, Oct 7, 2007.

1. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    I don't want a full-sized rooster, 'cuz my hubby doesn't want his girls to be subjected to one. But I like the idea of a rooster for flock protection. Would a little banty be of any use as a guard dog??

Also, would he attack humans? And, if so, could he actually hurt a human, or would it just be funny?

There were several of these little Blue Dutch guys at a recent poultry swap:
    [​IMG]
    I'm wishing I had brought one home.

2. Windy Ridge

Windy Ridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    They can provide protection, because they can keep an eye out for hawks and such, and sound the alarm when a predator comes.

Yes, they can attack a human, and when they get their spurs it can certainly hurt, even draw blood!

3. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    We have a little Banty Roo in with our girls (by accident) he sure tries to be protective of HIS girls but its more funny than anything. he'll come up to you to block you from the girls but he's so slow you can just pick him up and move him. This morning he was sure making a racket letting everyone know we had a hawk eyeballing his girls.
    So I'd have to say he's some help but any real varmit that was able to get in the coup would probably just pumel him.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by