Would a Barred Rock Cross Sex Link be ok?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by juliemom25, May 18, 2009.

1. juliemom25

juliemom25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    We are going to get a chick or two that has been sexed male so that we can have a rooster for our 25 hens. We are getting it from a local hatchery. One type of chicken they carry is a Barred Rock Cross Sex Link. I know nothing about those at all. What does the "cross sex link" mean? Would we be able to successfully breed that with one of our standard hens (RIR, EE, BO, NHR, BA) if we don't care if the chicks are "mutts." We are not looking to sell chicks or anything, but I don't want to get sickly chicks of something wonky. Any advice?

Julie

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    A sex link is a cross between two breeds that can be sexed by color.

A red sex link is made by crossing a Rhode Island Red male with a Plymouth barred rock female, the females will all be red, and the males will be mostly white.

Their are other combinations that produce other colors of sex link.

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    It'll work, it just means that it's already crossed, so that they can tell gender by baby color.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Quote:Actually, you described a black sexlink, Lee. A red is a RIR and RIW or something similar.

If you cross a sexlink with another breed, the result will not be sexlinked.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Actually, you described a black sexlink, Lee. A red is a RIR and RIW or something similar.

If you cross a sexlink with another breed, the result will not be sexlinked.

Thats right.

Those crosses get me all crossed up! [​IMG]

6. juliemom25

Apr 4, 2009
    So, if I cross a this Barred Rock Sex link with one of my hens it would be just like crossing a regular Barred Rock? I just can't count on color to sex it for me?

Julie

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

If you cross any sexlink with any breed, you just get a crossbreed bird and it will not be sexlinked, sorry. The color ID will only work on the first cross of the two purebreds.

8. juliemom25

Apr 4, 2009
    Got it, thanks!

Julie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by