Would a Blue Heron eat a chciken???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by henmommy, Sep 22, 2009.

1. henmommy

henmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I am missing two young pullets without any sign.

2. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    I would kind of doubt it.

3. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    I doubt it, too. I would go on line and do a search on them. It will show/tell you the eating habits. I honestly think they don't eat chickens.

4. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I personally don't know. But a lady down the road from me, says she has one that comes and eats all her baby ducks???

5. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Found this on the following web site, so it's possible!

http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Ardea_herodias.html

Great blue herons fish in both the night and the day, with most of their activity occurring around dawn and dusk. Herons use their long legs to wade in shallow water and their sharp "spearlike" bills to catch their food. Great blue herons' diet consists of mainly fish, but also includes frogs, salamanders, lizards, snakes, birds, small mammals, shrimps, crabs, crayfish , dragonflies, grasshoppers, and many other aquatic insects. Herons locate their food by sight and usually swallow it whole. Herons have been known to choke on prey that is too large. (Ferguson, 1998)

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

We have one in this area everyone calls GB. He visits all the little lakes around our farms. He ONLY hangs around the lakes. So if a neighbor is missing some ducklings, I guess it would be possible (especially after reading the info. posted by a previous posting). But unless your chicks were hanging out around a lake or pond...I can't see one eating chicks...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  7. kdcrws

kdcrws Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    an owl maybe? we had a couple of ducks carried off w/o a trace. then one morning one was dropped and we found talon holes in her sides.

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I have chickens and a great blue heron that likes to hunt in my pond right next to the chicken coop. The birds all give each other the hairy eyeball and occasionally the hens will start an alarm call, but they always stay away from each other. I could see a heron eating young baby birds, but not any bird much larger.

9. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    I have seen a GBH walk up and steal a large fish out of an anglers catch bucket. I'd say that fish was about the size of a chicken...after several tries, it flew off with it. Needless to say, the guy wasn't happy. With all the stuff listed as prey on the nature websites, I wouldn't put it past individual birds to learn to like smaller chickens.

1 person likes this.
  10. waragcat

waragcat New Egg

May 11, 2014
    There is a Mama duck who had 7 ducklings on my property. Then there were 6 ducklings. Today I saw Mama duck stand by helplessly as a GBH swooped in & took another baby. When he returned again, I ran out to chase him but he keeps coming back. I live by a canal so I guess that's why he's here. I know it's nature, but it still upsets me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by