Would a change in feed brand cause diarrhea?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hummingbird Hollow, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I've been feeding my little flock (7 hens) an organic "layer" feed since they started laying in October. I was running low this week and had plans to drive (about 45 minutes) to the store that carries it when we got hit by a pretty severe winter storm (Thurs. 12/22). Due to the weather and driving conditions I decided to pick up a bag of Manna Pro "Egg Maker" at a nearby feed store. Today I had the girls out free ranging for the first time in a few days and noted that three of them had very watery poops. Do you think this could have been caused by the change in feed? If so what should I do? If not the change in feed, would our first really cold weather be the cause? Any other advice?

2. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    yes the feed change could have done

yes the weather might have had something to do with it

I would bet it was the feed...it is best to mix feed when switching...it will get better in a few days

3. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    Thanks, I know to do that with cat or dog food, and probably should have assumed the same with chicken feed, but the storm sort of caught me unprepared.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by