?? Would a chicken lay an egg, out, and still go to the coop at nite?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kkm, Nov 16, 2008.

1. kkm

kkm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2008
    Shawnee, OK.
    My chickens free range durring the day and return to the tractor/coop at nite. They have become attached to a stand of bushes. One has been seen less and less during the day and has taken longer to come in than the others. Last nite I had to go out with a flashlight and get her! I didn't think about it till today, but could she have a nest under there? [​IMG]

2. justhatchin

justhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Galva, Kansas
    Yep could have. Mine lay in the goat hay sometimes. I just have to watch egg production. When they do this I keep them in a few days, add more hay to the nest boxes.

3. hot wing stables

hot wing stables Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    when you go to grab her does she puff up and squak at you?

4. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    Very likely. Try keeping them in the coop until later in the day for a while and see if production increases. That's how you'll know even if you never find a well hidden nest. I don't let anyone out to free range untill 2pm (they can still get to an outside run).

5. kkm

kkm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2008
    Shawnee, OK.
    I went out and looked, but no eggs. [​IMG] It is all trampled down back there though so they spend a lot of time in there. They are right at 16 weeks old, could they be getting broody? These are my first chickens, so I haven't seen all the behaviors yet. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by