Would a hawk take off with a human baby outside?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by petitesphinx, Sep 8, 2008.

1. petitesphinx

petitesphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Alabama
    Would a hawk fly down and mess with or try to fly off with a human baby that's on a blanket in the yard?

I heard about hawks flying off with small dogs, cats...etc right in front of the human owners. And we have an 8 month old-about 15lbs and I'd like to let her play outside on our blanket......or in her pack n play. (And I'd be with her at ALL times, of course) But with seeing the hawks circling our pond and land now....I'm paranoid.

You can laugh and call me silly....I know...it must be a dumb question....

2. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    think she'll be just fine. Love your avatar pic, too. Hope the baby looks more like you than than like your little friend there . . . .

3. RASTACHICKI

RASTACHICKI Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2008
    Mobile, Alabama
    the only thing i think that would carry off a baby would be either a Harpy Eagle from down in South America. Maybe an Andean Condor from Chile or there is another Eagle in Africa that is know to pierce the skulls of monkeys with their talons and carry them off too. I don't think any would carry a baby off, but there is always a first. I heard of some double edged tail hawks in Australia attacking a hang glider. Actually caused the glider to crash by ripping the cloth wings of the glider. After the crash it attacked the woman and tore her up pretty good. She survived to tell the tale. Sounded awful to me. I had a hawk swoop at my Pullets yesterday. Freaked them out for 3 hours. THey were huddled in the corner of the coop forever. Hawks are bad-A##!!!!

4. petitesphinx

petitesphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2008
    Alabama
    Whew!

Thanks, I know it sounds silly...just wanted to be safe/sure. We just moved out to the country and this is our first summer here. There's soooooo much to learn about our chickens, ducks, peafowl...goats, sheep....geeeeeeeeeezeee

Hehe...she's more like me in the eyes, I think-than her daddy, but she has his head:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  5. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Hawks can't fly off with heavy breed chickens, which weigh upwards of what a heavier newborn would weigh.

I doubt that hawks would bother a baby.

It does depend, of course, on whether it's an African hawk or a European hawk.

6. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Oh, don't scare this lady, y'all. She's a new mom and a new country dweller.

No hawk will fly off with your baby. Though if I were a hawk, she's just the little morsel I would pick . . . so cute!

7. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    I think she will be fine, I've never heard of a hawk flying off with a baby. She is sooooo cute!

8. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    Hawks attack things they can eat. Your little cutie is too big to eat so she is fine! I did learn one thing the hard way about babies outside .... they pick up everything and put it in their mouths so I'd keep her in a playpen. Better safe than seeing her dine on a worm or something! [​IMG] And she is adorable!!!!!

9. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Nope, that's too big for a hawk, unless you grow some monster ones in your part of the country! [​IMG]

10. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    She should be fine. We have hawks and Bald and Golden Eagles here and I never had any trouble with them and the girls.

She is a cutie and will appreciate the move to the country where she can run and have all those animals to love.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by