Would a leg injury do this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jferlisi, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Hey so I have a chick who got hurt i dont know how, It has been two days and she is recovering well but she wont use her leg. As i said in my topic of how to treat her the leg is not broken. She just skinned it really bad. There was no bone showing or anything and there was little blood. Could she have torn a ligoment or something? Here is what she carries the leg. She is kinda using it as a crutch.
    [​IMG]

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Wouldn't want to guess about extent/kind of injury. Usual drill, though: Separate it and keep it in relatively low light on clean, soft bedding. Don't want it to be hassled by others, attempting to roost, etc. It is in period of rapid growth, best to not allow for exacerbation of what might otherwise be a relatively minor injury. A clear pic of the injured leg/foot would help (is the foot turned backwards, or what?).

Good luck

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  3. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    No its not turn backwards, the toes are curled up. I will try to get a clean pic tomorrow. But i have them sperated and i only let her out today for maybe 5 minutes cause she was churping her head off, so i monitored so the others wouldn't bug her. The wound is right under the wing so its hard to get a good pic of it. Should i make like a little cast type thing for her with popsicle sticks or small pine tree branches so her toes will be pointed out words and just tape it to her toes?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    bump

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by