Would a mouse live here?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by andythescot, Jan 3, 2011.

1. andythescot

andythescot Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    Underneath my coop, a sedentary A-frame "tractor," we have the run directly underneath and extended to the side. Over the months, the hens have kicked the bedding out of the coop.. I don't really know why. But I do know they love to scratch around in this stuff. (Its straw.) But yesterday I saw a small hole at the base of the run. The coop is raised three feet off the ground, so I never thought rodents would be a problem. But with all that piled up hay there.. Do you think mice would make a nest in all that damp, chickeny, straw?

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Yes, indeed. Perfect mouse habitat if it's where the birds can't get at them.

3. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Absolutely.

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I found mice were living in the straw bales I had put INSIDE my chicken shed. I found mice living in my car engine.Lol,they will live justy about anywhere there is shelter.

5. eggboy

eggboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    CA
    Put a trap down there and he won't anymore.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    A resounding yes.

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yes. I cannot even FOLD my canvas tarps anywhere (even draped over a sawhorse) without a mouse nest being built in 24 hours, outside in the chicken run. The mice will seek any dry place.

8. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    this time of year, mice are looking for any place that is dry or protected from the elements to nest. My dh put out traps starting the end of October and we were amazed at how many we caught in and around all our out buildings. Even old hay would be like mouse heaven!

9. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Yup mice love any hidey-hole they can find. I had one ruin my 4-wheeler by making a nest in the clutch housing. I will often find nests under the manure when I clean the chicken coop out in the spring and they absolutely love getting under the galvanized water heaters.

10. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    I had a mouse hole right outside our coop/run. Went out at night and they were all over. Got me a ketch all trap and have been trapping them every day. Even the chickens help out and catch a few every now and then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by