Would a partridge silkie be a good rooster for mixed flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bobbieschicks, Mar 2, 2012.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I have White Leghorn, Ancona, EE, Lavender orpington, WelsummeR, Amerucana and silkie pullets of various ages. I'm trying to weed out excess roosters.

My daughter wants me to keep her fav rooster, silkie. I've trimmed his top feathers, but will he be a good rooster?

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    This is rhetorical right? l read you poll thread about what rooster to keep so I know you know they all are different. He's young still developing especially if he doen't have the older ones around. So what are you looking for in this rooster? Go from there.

3. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Thanks for your response. Not really rhetorical, I guess I just want to be sure I am making a good choice keeping a silkie as a rooster. I know he's young and may end up not working out. I know practically everyone on the poll said to keep Foghorn. I originally thought I would keep both Foghorn and Daisy. Then Foghorn attacked one of the newly hatched chicks the other day and my son reminded me of the time Foghorn flogged my special needs son just or walking in the yard, and that's when I decided he has to go.

4. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Time will tell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by