would a raccoon be able to open a spring snap?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fiddlebanshee, Mar 24, 2012.

1. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Like the ones that you use to carry keys around?

I need something that is easy to open through the latch of the run door. I had a padlock that jammed badly, so I want something easier, but still secure.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  2. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    I use linch pins, available in various sizes for about $1.50 a piece. Lows, Menard's, Home depot they all carry them
    the ring is twisted in a way to act like a spring and "locks" agents the pin

[​IMG]

3. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    You mean a carabiner? I don't know- racoons are so smart and have such nimble fingers!! THere must be something at the hardware store you can use!

4. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    I use carbine and the trigger snaps, like on a dog leash. I haven't have any problem. After looking at the above posters pic, I can't see how a raccoon could open that.

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Yes they can.espec the light ones. I have seen them unscrew coke bottles

6. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    They've gotten in my coolers and action packers. But thats not much of a challenge.[​IMG]

7. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Ok thanks all for the terminology :) I have done some more research and think I'm going to settle on a wire lock pin. Mast with a round or square loop that goes around the bottom tip of the mast. Seems a bit more secure than the linch pin. Critter would have to think about two different things to do to get the latch open.

I had no idea what a linch pin, a carabiner or a wire lock pin were. I guess in my previous post I did mean a carabiner.

8. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    they should have a wide selection of all those.

think about how your latch is positioned and get the best one for job. a horizontal latch may need a different type than a vertical.
    Try to think like a raccoon grabbing and puling down, twisting..that sort of thing.

Good luck

9. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    I use linch pins also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by