Would a regular pencil work to mark eggs in the incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by olijo123, Jan 12, 2014.

1. olijo123

olijo123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    WV
    Hi everybody! This is probably a dumb question...., but can you mark eggs with a regular pencil before putting them in the incubator? I hatched eggs for the first time last year, but they were all the same breed. This year I am hatching some eggs that are a mixture of breeds, so I want to be able to know which is which. I know it might be a weird question, but I have heard so many different things about using certain things to mark them. Lol So can I use a regular pencil? Or something else? [​IMG] Thank you! [​IMG]

2. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Regular pencil is fine, a lot of people use permanent Sharpie Marker too, so you don't have to press as hard. I use pencil, myself.

3. olijo123

Jun 10, 2013
    WV
    Thanks for your help! I am hatching a mix of Silkies, Old English Game bantams, and a few other breeds. So thank you!

4. Avlana

Avlana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Yup, I've used pencil for years. I've also bought local hatching eggs with dates written on them with sharpie marker and they hatched just fine.

5. olijo123

Jun 10, 2013
    WV
    Okay Thanks! I wasn't real sure, I just wanted to be on the safe side! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by