Would a rooster help?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pacenme, Apr 8, 2012.

1. pacenme

pacenme Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    So I haven't had any eggs in 8 days. Could it be because I got them from someone that had 5 roosters to 30 hens? Someone told me that if my hens wouldn't lay that I may need a rooster? Is there any truth to this? I know many people who don't own a rooster and their hens have no trouble laying. Please help! We had no easter eggs this year [​IMG]

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

No, you don't need a rooster- they are stressed from moving- they will get over it. give them time, may be a little more then two weeks.

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Hens do not need a rooster to lay - it happens every 27 hours or so, all things being equal.
    But MANY things can pout them off laying, from stress to changes in diet.
    Just keep feeding them and be patient. My bet is they will come around.

4. pacenme

pacenme Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    Thanx! I didn't think I needed one. Its just that its been 2 weeks since I got them and 2 of them have not layed any eggs and my other 2 stopped laying 8 days ago. Also my one is molting/leaving feathers all over the place. Is that normal? Sorry to ask such silly ?'s

5. applegal

applegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Your molting hen will not laying during the molt. Like the other posts said...your lack of eggs is likely due to the stress from the move. Give them some time, keep an eye out for disease. Remember, if they came from another larger flock, there is still some pecking order and routines to get sorted out. Relax and give them

6. mrsc1951

mrsc1951 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Largo, Florida
    Not silly questions at all! If your hen is moulting, she may not/probably won't lay until she is finished with her moult. After about a year of age they do typically moult. [​IMG]

7. applegal

applegal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    whoops..
    what I was saying.. give 'em time.

Asking questions - not silly.
    Yes during a molt, feathers everywhere is perfectly normal. The bird(s) will look really ragged for a bit and then will be gorgeous when done with all new feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by