Would a Silkie be a good fit for my flock?

xCaliforniaChickiex

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2018
We're looking to add more chickens to our flock. Our flock is really small, we only have 4 girls right now ranging from 3-5 years old, an Easter egger, barred rock, and two orpingtons. None of the birds are overly aggressive, but do tend to stand their ground if they feel another hen is out of line according to the pecking order. I read that Silkies can be really sensitive if they get their head pecked and lead to something severe which worries me, do you think this is a good fit for my flock or should I steer in another direction? I'm planning to get 2 silkies, and then 2 orpingtons a couple weeks later when the hatchery gets their shipment in.

You need to have more than one chicken introduced so that the bullying is spread out. Yes, Silkies are small, clutz, and sensitive. Alternatively, you can introduce the older birds one at a time after having the new Silkie established. Good luck.

First things first, do you have enough space for more birds in the coop/run? If you have limited space, I would not suggest adding silkies to a flock with a Barred Rock in it. Barred Rocks tend to be very dominant and need their elbow room.

Our barred rock was last on the pecking order of 3 before we introduced our 2 orpingtons to the mix, so I'm not sure if she would be a problem as far as super aggressive behavior, but I'll give that a thought since they'd all be together. Do you happen to have any other breed suggestions that you think would be a good fit?

First things first, do you have enough space for more birds in the coop/run? If you have limited space, I would not suggest adding silkies to a flock with a Barred Rock in it. Barred Rocks tend to be very dominant and need their elbow room.

Back
Top Bottom