would a strong scent deter racoon?

Dragon Lady

Songster
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
A racoon is eating his way through my guinea flock at a fast rate. They insist on roosting in the same maple tree every night.I saw racoon on my trail cam overnight and another guinea is missing this morning :-(
My guineas free range on 40 acres, capturing them to put them in a safe coop overnight is not an option.

WOuld a strong scent deter racoon from climbing the tree?
I'm thinking eucalyptus, jalapenos or black pepper or something?

TIA
Sharon :)

Your best bet is to trap the raccoon(s) - likely there are several in the area.

Scents/Repellants won't work.
good to know, thanks :)
Ive arranged to borrow a live trap tonight. i'll bet it will be captured very quickly as it comes back every night or two nights for a guinea fowl fix. I hate that Ive lost 8 guineas to the pesky raccoon

Be careful, they do carry Rabies.

And they do not live alone so for sure there are several around.

And they are exceptionally smart, once you trap one you may not be able to trap others?

Good luck, hope you can get rid of them all and save your flock.

Ive arranged to borrow a live trap tonight. i'll bet it will be captured very quickly as it comes back every night or two nights for a guinea fowl fix. I hate that Ive lost 8 guineas to the pesky raccoon

Don't bet on it, they are smart critters and if they have had any experience with traps they will generally recognize it and avoid it like the plague... Not to say they won't fall for it, you can certainly trap them but it's far from a sure bet it will happen quickly...

Either way good luck, and plan on how you are going to dispose of it after trapping, in many states it's illegal to relocate... And if relocation is legal in your area remember it's irresponsible (likely illegal) to relocate your problems to someone elses property without their consent... Generally best to trap then kill, if you don't want to use a firearm, fill a garbage can with water and drop the entire trap and all in the can to drown the coon...

Can you put electric fencing around tree? The poultry electric nettingis worth every penny. Premier is great resource. If you already have electric fence for other livestock you could rig up stand off insulated chickenwireon tree trunk. You only need it about four feet up trunk soracoon stands up to start climbing, touches and gets popped.
Live traps we bait with a napkin doused in vanilla flavoring wired to trap trigger. This cuts down on trapping neighbors cats.
Check the local laws, too. Here in TN we can trap and kill but cannot transport to another location. And, if you have skunks? Have a plan on how deal with trapping one and not getting gassed.
We are over run with racoons here and George, our half Anatolian/GP LGD is only reason we can keep livestock alive.
Donna in Dandridge, TN

Can you put electric fencing around tree? The poultry electric nettingis worth every penny. Premier is great resource. If you already have electric fence for other livestock you could rig up stand off insulated chickenwireon tree trunk. You only need it about four feet up trunk soracoon stands up to start climbing, touches and gets popped.
Live traps we bait with a napkin doused in vanilla flavoring wired to trap trigger. This cuts down on trapping neighbors cats.
Check the local laws, too. Here in TN we can trap and kill but cannot transport to another location. And, if you have skunks? Have a plan on how deal with trapping one and not getting gassed.
We are over run with racoons here and George, our half Anatolian/GP LGD is only reason we can keep livestock alive.
Donna in Dandridge, TN
Thankyou.
George is beautiful <3

electric fencing isnt an option unfortunately as the maple tree is one of 100 acres, so raccoon could merrily find his way in if he tried.
We are trying the live trap version, I like your idea of using vanilla as 'bait'. I've been concerned about catching my own barn cats lol. Not sure what we would do about a skunk :-/

Sharon

thanks for replying :)

its illegal to kill them here as they are 'fur bearers' so folks are told to relocate them.
One of my friends caught 7 raccoons one year and each time her husband dutifully took it a few kilometers away and released it.
- I suggested it was probably the same one, it had a hearty treat of peanut butter sandwiches and then a car ride to the woods and a walk home. lol

I'm not saying what I'm going to do with any that we trap .....but it will not become someone elses problem ;-)

Back
Top Bottom