Would a weasel do this?

Castlemaid

Songster
Mar 26, 2019
Northern BC
I recently picked up six young birds. They are about 3 months old now. On days when I'm home I let them out to free range. I have a duck pond that sits between the coop and the house - and I can't really see the coop from the house. I looked out and saw white feathers by the pond. A lot! I went out to see and found two dead birds hidden in the bushes, laid side by side very neatly. One had the head missing, the other had her neck broken and almost off. One other pullet is missing, two other birds are alive but injured with missing and broken feathers, the last one, a cockere,l seemed fine and intact.

Could this be a weasel? They seem too small an animal to take a whole bird, leave two dead and lined up, and injure two others? I'm in Northern British Columbia, and I have been having issues with a Lynx in the area, but a Lynx would just grab one bird and take off - I don't think it would cause this kind of damage. I've heard of weasels killing a lot of birds in a coop, but outside? They would have had to really chase them down one by one.

Thanks.

So sorry for your losses. :hugs

Sounds like a weasel. Weasels will often kill for sport and are known for killing multiple birds at a time and neatly piling the bodies. I'd cease free ranging for a while and fortify your coop. Weasels are small and can easily fit through tight spaces. They are also excellent diggers and can climb fences.

Back
Top Bottom