Would adult ducks be mean when they arrive..??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tlammy, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Tlammy

Tlammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    London, OH
    Ok im thinking of ordering from holdrread and i dont have enough room for 10 ducklings... and ive heard that adult ducks are mean if transfered to a new owner...
    [​IMG]
    help..??

2. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    Each duck has their own personallity so your guess is as good as ours. My ducks are not mean but I also don't pick them up every day and when I need to I end up chasing them a bit.

3. wackwack

wackwack Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2011
    south east ireland
    in my in-experience, i would imagine it depends where they come from! My 4 are (supposidly) over a year old, and i have them 2+ weeks, they're not friendly, as in, they are not used to being handled at all, but they are learning that i am cool, i bring food, and fresh water etc! and are starting to trust me a bit.
    i suppose if i bought them from someone who had handled them regularly etc it would have made things a lot easier! I live and learn!

4. Tlammy

Tlammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    London, OH
    Hm... so.. with holdrreads... they would be a bit mean...??
    Or if i got them from a breeder... they would be tame..??

5. wackwack

wackwack Out Of The Brooder

Oct 24, 2011
    south east ireland
    i dont even know what holdreads is!!!! [​IMG]
    sorry!
    mine arent mean tho, just not tame!! They run away from me [​IMG]
    i guess, reading other posts on here from people hatching eggs, they seem to handle them and love them etc, so if i was buying more ducks I'd want them from someone like that!!!

6. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    If you want them really friendly you are better off to get them as babies and handle them every day. Like I said mine are not mean and will croud my feet until I attempt to touch them then they run screaming, or quacking. Perhaps it is a game.... Anyway mine will come when I have the food bucket (or any bucket) and since I try and call when I feed they will look at me when I call.

But being held is duck by duck, most squirm some are ok.

To get the best chance of getting a friendly duck go with a breeder or person with a small flock.

7. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    I have never gotten my ducks as ducklings, always as adults (from an animal shelter), they have never ever been mean to me. Have gotten a total of 7 hens and one drake. The drake was bratty to one duck when I got her, and he is silly with me, but NEVER aggressive or mean. I can pick all of them up and while they don't like it, none of them has ever been nasty about it.
    Just my experience.........................................

8. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    Holderread's Waterfowl is a top waterfowl breeder. They have a large operation and breed and conserve some lovely birds of rarer varieties. Their ducks won't likely be "tame", but in general ducks aren't the kind of pet that prefers to be petted. They might be afraid of you, particularly since they don't know you.

It would be really unusual for a duck to be mean to a person, there are some mentioned here that seem to be misbehaving. I had one drake that fought with the other drakes. I didn't keep him. I've never had one that was mean to me - just a couple of times they reacted to something they found frightening or uncomfortable. I really don't think you'll have any trouble. It may take a while before they come running when you call them, but lots of treats work wonders! [​IMG]

9. m496

m496 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    I am getting a pair of adult mini silver apps delivered from holderreads this Friday. I can let you know how they are if you want! My guess is that they will be skittish and afraid, rather than aggressive, which is ok because I can work on that. Also, I'm just keeping ducks for pets and my ultimate goal is to incubate some of her eggs and have those ducklings grow up to be very tame and friendly. So, you can always go that route!!

Best of luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by