Would an impacted or sour crop cause a swollen abdomen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wannabe_goatmom, Aug 1, 2013.

1. wannabe_goatmom

wannabe_goatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Wellington KY
    I have a 3 year old silkie hen that I found lethargic this morning. She feels very thin and bony but her abdomen feels swollen. Also this morning her crop is still full. Would having a sour or impacted crop cause her abdomen to be swollen or is it possible that the swollen abdomen is causing her crop not to empty? I brought her in and put her in the hospital cage, she has had one watery poo. I haven't tried to feed her since her crop feels full. She has water with ACV in it. Any suggestions on what I should do?

2. wannabe_goatmom

Jul 30, 2009
    Wellington KY
    She seems to be getting worse...Anyone have any ideas?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  4. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    It could be ascites due to liver failure. Baytril and doxycycline is what my vet used in this situation, hoping it was a bacterial infection and not something we couldn't do anything about, such as neoplasia.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Sour/impacted crop does not cause a swollen abdomen. I would think that she has Egg Yolk Peritonitis or ascites.

As for the crop problem, before treatment suggestions, I need to know whether it is sour crop or impacted crop. Does the crop feel squishy, and/or is there a foul smell coming from her mouth? If so, it is most likely sour crop. If the crop is hard, then it is impacted crop. I don't know much on treating sour crop, but my rec commendations for impacted crop are:

First, give her some olive oil. Wait a few minutes, then gently massage the crop. Try to break up any mass inside of it. If after a few repetitions of this the crop isn't any better, you might want to consider crop surgery to remove the impaction.

Best of luck!

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How is she doing?

7. wannabe_goatmom

Jul 30, 2009
    Wellington KY
    She made it through the night, but is very poor this morning. I'm pretty sure it is impacted crop because it is still there this morning and has not gone down at all. I have given her mineral oil and massaged it, it makes a gurgling sound. I am going to call an avian vet in Lexington at 8 am to see if they can get her in. At this point I'm more worried about the abdomen than the crop. Her abdomen is even bigger this am and feels like a water balloon.

8. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Vegetable oil would have been better to use--mineral oil is more of a cathartic. Did you read the link on crop issues? You can still try to turn her over and massage so that she may vomit. I suppose she could have something stuck in her gizzard blocking her up. Ascites in her abdomen may have caused her impacted crop--sometimes that can be a symptom--you know sour crop progressing to impaction. Does she normally lay eggs? I hope you can get her seen today.

9. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Have you treated her for being egg bound? She may have sour crop as opposed to impacted.

Here are links dealing with egg binding,and impacted/sour/pendulous crop.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/07/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms.html

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html

Unfortunately she may have Ascites(water belly)fluid in the abdomen,is she showing any signs of respiratory issues,bluish color to comb/wattles?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  10. wannabe_goatmom

Jul 30, 2009
    Wellington KY
    She has an appointment at the vet at 11:30. Unfortunately, I don't think she is going to make it that long. She is completely listless and breathing very shallowly. I gave her mineral oil because that was all I had on hand and I read in a post that it was okay to use. She has been vomiting up some thick brown liquid.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll let you guys know how her appointment goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by