1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Would any of Y'all Western Washingtonians go for this? Hatchery Order.

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by DoctorGoose, Aug 29, 2007.

1. DoctorGoose

DoctorGoose Songster

Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    So, I'm thinking about ordering from a hatchery (specifically Meyer)--but their minimum order is 25. (I would buy elsewhere but other hatcheries are sold out of the breed I need).

So, if y'all want to order something, let me know--otherwise, I'm going to fill 'er up with CornishX....and some lucky BYC-er is going to get themselves some "free" meat chicks--on the condition that I get one back when it's all processed...I've never had farm-raised chicken before, so it's more curiosity than anything else. [​IMG]

2. arlee453

arlee453 Songster

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Meyer will do less than 25 - as few as 3. You just have to pay extra shipping for the warmer and special packaging. The shipping will be more than the chicks, but very great to have the option for a smaller shipment.

I got 7 +1 freebie from them and got great service and very, very healthy chicks, and exactly the breeds I asked for.

-S

3. greyfields

greyfields Crowing

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I just got a shipment of marans, jersey giants and RIR's today from Meyer. I had one order with them that had 10 chicks dead one time. They were replaced on the next shipment, so I have no complaints. I have never ordered watefowl from them, though.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Hey, I'm not too far from woodinville. I just hatched out 16 chicks of my own so don't need any more this time of year, but... I could make exceptions for a few buff silkies...

I can butcher birds too if that is the route you end up taking. I prefer to skin them as it is quicker and much less messier, but can also pluck them too if that is what you prefer in return. I usually only do 4-5 at a time because I don't have a professional set up; just buckets, 4 pots of water on the stove, and half a Sunday.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  5. DoctorGoose

DoctorGoose Songster

Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    Blah....Silkiechicken, you didn't have to tell me how you were going to do it! Uuuuugh....That's why I'm not a phleobotomist nor a surgeon!! Bleeeeh.....And why I don't read the "how to process at home" threads....aww.....*shudders* anyhow, I think I found some people who will take the rest of the chickens. Thanks for y'alls imputs!

6. silkiechicken

Sorry, didn't mean to offend you. Just told you the two ways of preparing them... you don't want to read the real how of how it is done. Have fun with your chicks!

7. DoctorGoose

DoctorGoose Songster

Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    LOL! You didn't offend me; just grossed me out. Trust me, it's not that hard to do. I passed out in 6th grade when we went on a field trip to a blood bank....

8. quiltymare

quiltymare Chirping

Feb 3, 2007
    Central Washington
    Hey, more WA folks! Hi! I'm in the Kent/Covington area... Sounds like we have a lot of members up here!

I would have loved to have gotten some chicks but I have a pretty large bunch of girls right now along with 16 3 week old chicks and 5 1 week old chicks. Sigh...

Anyway, if you decide to order more, let me know!

9. silkiechicken

Quote:Oh geez... I hate needles! I can poke other things.. but on myself I think I'd do the same!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: