Would anyone take some free hens for meat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Marcy, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcy

Marcy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga
    I have a small flock in the Atlanta area and half of them are dropping off in productivity now that they're getting close to three years old. I don't have the heart to butcher or eat them, but will need to get rid of them to make room for some egg-layers. Would anyone in the area who's comfortable with the process want to take them? They're four very healthy, big and fat hens- 2 Rhode Island reds, a Dominique, and an Aurucana (not normally a meat chicken, I know, but she's pretty big).

2. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    If I was closer I would, try craigslist too.

3. Marcy

Marcy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga
    I'll try Craigslist if necessary, but I'm hoping for someone from this site who knows what they're doing and can be as humane as possible.

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Wish I was closer.. I would be happy to help.. You arent heading to indiana any time soon are you?????

5. Marcy

Marcy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga
    Weirdly enough, yes, but not until April... where in Indiana? I have a friend there who might be driving to visit me in February, and he's the kind of person who would deliver chickens [​IMG]

6. FLOWERPOT

FLOWERPOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I am 20 minutes from Louisville in Indiana. Columbus is about 45 minutes from me.

7. Marcy

Marcy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 28, 2008
    Atlanta, Ga
    hmm. My friends are in Bloomington, so you may actually be on the way from here to there... I'll email him and see when he's coming. This may actually work out, yay!

8. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:I live in Columbus.. But could meet just about anywhere from louisville north... I am right on 65.. I will be processing this spring and would love to get some extra experience.. I have done chickens before and am very respectful of the sacrifice that each animal makes to my family.. How close are you to Nashville , TN I have family that way that have been wanting to come visit and they wouldnt have any issues bringing birds up with them...

9. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:I am only about 25 minutes from bloomington.. and wouldnt mind meeting somewhere easier for both..

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

In the future, this should be put in the auction format in our BSA section. [​IMG] Hope you've found a home for your birds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by