Would appreciate input on killing a baby - legs don't work

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BennieAnTheJets, Oct 8, 2018.

1. BennieAnTheJets

BennieAnTheJets Songster

Mar 4, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    So, I have been hatching Guineas for 7 years now and have killed 2-3 keets (Guinea chicks)

one I regretted very much because the reason was splayed legs and curled toes and no home to go to and in retrospect I think it may have at least partially recovered and it was super sweet and the man who took the others in the end said he would not have minded giving it a chance

the other one could not breathe and I am pretty sure I did the right thing - it was not eating and slowly dying

(For method, I tried local vets but they wanted to charge for an exam first and then euthanasia with injection (for over 200 $) and I also read online that injections are not the best - I found a "rat lady" who recommended a method (for rats and very small animals) that uses CO2 from Vinegar and Baking soda that is supposed to put the animal to sleep before killing it with lack of oxygen in the CO2 tank - if you want to use that, please do your research and get it right.)

the decision now involves a keet that hatched and is eating - it looked like it had splayed legs at first but now I see it is more: the legs are not working from the hock down, so it hobbles around on its elbows in the brooder box - I don't think it will be able to use either leg for walking later

we have a flock of free ranging Guineas and integration would be very hard for the keet and for me - and our coop is full - this keet is part of a group that was supposed to go to a new home this weekend - so I would have to keep 2 more birds (this one and a buddy) and I am not sure that is the best solution

what are your thoughts about killing / culling / euthanasia and when to do it and when to support live instead, even if it is very difficult?

2. azygous

azygous Free Ranging

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    My view is that the decision to kill/cull is an extremely personal one that must not be judged by any one else. You are there. We aren't. You and you alone know what your limits are regarding nursing along a weak or disabled baby chick, and only you can truly assess the chick's reasonable chances for recovery and a normal life.

The most humane, fast, painless method for dispatching a sick or severely disabled baby chick is to snip off the head with sharp scissors or hand pruners. Recently I had to do this using this method, and it's so fast that there is no pain or suffering. The chick didn't suffer, either.

3. BennieAnTheJets

BennieAnTheJets Songster

Mar 4, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Thank you azygous

Did it bleed a lot? Our keet is a week old already and starting to grow wing feathers

I thought the brace would fix the splayed legs (as has worked on others before) but this is more severe - maybe a tendon problem (on both legs)

4. Chickens :)

Chickens :) Songster

Feb 2, 2018
    Australia
    I agree. I like to give it as much as a shot as I can to keep it alive but you know by looking at it that sometimes the best thing to do is to stop it suffering.

5. BennieAnTheJets

BennieAnTheJets Songster

Mar 4, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Thanks, Chickens :)

Yeah - that's what I can't decide quite yet: is it suffering? It probably will when it tries to run around our gravel driveway on its elbows... and even healthy birds have issues integrating - this one would have a hard time - but it is eating and growing

Has anyone ever had one that lived ok without use of both legs?

6. MissChick@dee

[email protected] Crowing

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    Well first I’m sorry for the hard decision.
    If it were mine I’d make the hard yet truly loving decision to put him down.
    I don’t know about your vet but I once worked for a vet and small animals or let’s say a very old cat without veins to sedate the animal then euthanize them they would inject directly into the heart. My vet hated to do that because they would feel pain. So..
    The whole co2 thingie dunno haven’t had any experience or research with it.
    I personally just cannot cull my birds my friend does it for me. I don’t know what I’d do without him. He decapites them swiftly. I know for sure it does not cause pain it’s instantaneously done. IMO much more merciful than a needle to the heart.
    Best wishes

7. Chickens :)

Chickens :) Songster

Feb 2, 2018
    Australia
    I had an Australorp pullet who had paralysed legs and was about 16 weeks old and we chose to stop her suffering because she was getting worse and worse and eventually would have broken her neck because she kept rolling. She had Mareks disease. I haven’t hatched Guineas so I am not sure with them.

8. True Patriot

True Patriot Sanity is subjective

May 20, 2018
    Liberty Co, Georgia
    My Coop
    I don't have guineas, so I can't recommend treatment. I also think the decision to euthanize is a personal,one. My reasons and methods may not coincide with your beliefs and practices. I do feel that you will know when the time comes and your other options have been exhausted it is the right thing. Mainly, I'm writing about the CO2 method. I strongly disagree with that method and advise against it. People have confused CO (carbon monoxide) and it's effects on the respiratory and nervous system with CO2 ( carbon dioxide). CO2 does not " put them to sleep" it is similar to drowning. Victims usually struggle for breath for several minutes before succumbing. There are much more humane methods in my opinion.

9. Chick-N-Fun

Chick-N-Fun Feather & Fur Whisperer

Jun 26, 2014
    Upstate NY
  10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat^^^
    Both the decision and technique.

EggWalrus, townchicks and KikiLeigh02 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: